ad: vanity

FT3DE/R and Heil HTH-Y Problem Fixed...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by M0KBO, May 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0KBO

M0KBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wanted to share a quick fix I've found, sorry if it has been posted already on here, I couldn't see it when I searched for it.

Long story short, I'm not too fussed with the bluetooth headsets with the FT3D, having read some of the issues people had had with them, I opted to go wired.

I had a voucher for a UK ham radio shop, so bought a little Heil HTH-Y. After I ordered it I read some reviews stating that it won't quite fit in the jack socket on the radio and function correctly, some have had to grind a small sliver off of the headset's jack plug.

Sure enough, it arrived and didn't fit properly, no PTT and had to hold the PTT to get any receive audio. Luckily I couldn't find my Dremel, so bought one of these little adaptors (pic attached) for use with phones with chunky cases, which get the same problem apparently. Think it was about 4 quid on Amazon.... Brand is Fospower, but I'm sure there are tons of others available.

Works like a dream, just checked it out on the YSF parrot. Looks a bit goofy coming out of the side of the radio, but thought it could be a good fix for anyone else with this issue who doesn't want to grind their jack plugs...

Cheers,
    73 Rich. IMG_6980.JPG

2. WS4K

WS4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Heil now has an adapter cable to use when plugging in the HTH-Y into the radios with the "waterproof" sockets.
    It works great. Actually I found the HTH to be a good little headset for this radio. The receive audio is better and there is enough volume to blow you into the next county.

M0KBO likes this.
  3. M0KBO

M0KBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Dammit! I thought I was breaking new ground in finding solutions, but looks like Heil beat me to it hi hi!

I'm quite impressed with the headset, sounds really nice. Yep +1 on the volume, it was quite unexpected when I first used it. I'll have a look for a UK supplier of these adaptors, cheers for the heads up.

73 Rich.