ad: elecraft

FT1XD handheld

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE2BP, Mar 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KE2BP

KE2BP Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought two of these on ebay to use on 146.520 simplex analog mainly.. This is my sole objective . The seller didnt tell me that it was set up for 144-146mhz only. Japan I think, where it was made actually. As I am writing Im saying I ordered the radio without understanding the details because the details were not supplied. What attracted me to the radio is that it was new, and these are no longer available. I spent close to 700.00 . As amateurs, we design, build and operate our own gear to conform to spectral purity and license class for frequency. No, its true I didnt build this radio. But as soon as I connect anything to it its become my inherited responsibility. This radio is built to operate from 144-148mhz, and the receiver is so good, it would be silly to TX with another handheld (for repeaters) and listen in on this thing. I was able to purchase it new, my only motivation. There is no resistor to remove for this as present in every other single handheld made today. It came with a programing cable, and this thread is my single one time, fearful to write query that there is somone who might know - did I throw 700 away or do I have two really good receivers that I could donate to a radio museum for viewing by generations to come, hopefully smarter than me. Or is there a way I can use this radio on 146.520 . Im close to giving up, so I took a chance to write this note for referrals. I could use it for scientiffic research (radio astronomy) and repurpose the radio. I would be welcome for any leads on what to do (or not do) with this. Im also willing to trade these radios with someone who lives or is moving to Japan. My call is KE2BP or email is memarcecker@gmail.com

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears what you got is the FT1XDE which is the export/non US version, rather than the FT1XDR which is the US version with full frequency coverage.
    Did the seller represent these radios as being the DR version? If so you can open a dispute with Ebay and possibly get your money back. Perhaps you can post a link to the actual auction so we can see it.
    If they were clearly represented in the ad as what they actually are and you just missed it, then you don't have any recourse and are stuck with them.

Also a couple of other points/questions, please don't take these as harsh but I'm just going by what you've stated here-
    At $350 per radio you overpaid even if they had been the correct model. Being new is fine but the model is discontinued for at least two years and I highly doubt there would be any more warranty from Yaesu (especially since the seller was most likely not an authorized Yaesu dealer).
    If all you needed was to communicate on .52 simplex/analog, why purchase radios capable of C4FM digital operation? The digital mode adds complexity and cost, there are other very nice analog-only HT's that would fill your needs for less money.
    Anyway I hope you can get this resolved without losing your money, good luck.

3. KE2BP

I appreciate your reply. I bought these not so much for C4FM but because of the exceptional receiver quality in these radios. I really do believe that the older analog dedicated receivers had true multiple IF's rather than direct conversion which Im less of a fan of and not too happy with. I guess I got a great receiver!! Would be thrilled if I could operate from 146 to 148 mhz also...even that range - not even the whole 144-148 would be welcome. I could open a dispute with ebay but international shipping due to the coronovirus is a concern presently, and Im also looking for a way to use these on 146.520mhz even If I could only program that one frequency. Im seeking a solution. Im open to ideas

4. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the "Big 3" HT's (Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom) are superhets, it's mainly the Chinese radios that are direct conversion.
    The FT1 is an ok receiver but not great for intermod if you're in a high-RF environment. Some time ago I was using mine as a temporary mobile with an external antenna and it overloaded rather easily from strong out-of-band signals. This is unfortunately a common occurrence with HT's that have wideband receive and thus minimal front-end filtering.
    As for your main issue, the frequency coverage, the only other idea I can suggest is perhaps the MARS mod will work on this version of the radio. I don't have the specific info on that, so you're on your own.

5. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

My early model FT1D has lousy receive audio out of the built-in speaker. The volume control has to be turned way up to hear anything. Plug in a speaker mic or headset and it's 100% better...

6. KE2BP

All I know is that this thing picks up weather stations simplex and all kinds of great stuff better than any of my other handheld radios do. At present I'm limited to using the radio and transmitting on another handheld with some kind of a weird dual band setup. I wish I could create a community here if someone knew about a fix for even just routine operation on simplex especially during these times we're relaying emergency traffic is really valuable to the community