Ft101ZD Clarifier problem

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by 2E1HHK, Aug 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. 2E1HHK

2E1HHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Guys
    Just started to use the Ft101DZ mk3 on ssb,previously been using it for cw, started on 40 meters lsb and everything seemed to be working fine, ok maybe slightly off frequency, but other than that all good
    Then I switched to 20 meters lsb, receiver did seem a little deaf, muffled,not picking up stations as well as my little xiegu, again slightly off frequency, but the main problem seems to be with clarifier, it brings station in but never spot on, no sweet spot, to the point where I still can’t listen to anything been said, everything muffled slightly off frequency still, hope that makes sense!
    This only seems to be happening on 20 meters, annoying as it’s my favourite frequency
    Does this sound familiar to anyone? I’d appreciate some help please
    Cheers
    Mark

2. G3VZM

G3VZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark,
    Suggest the problemis the reference to "20 metres lsb".
    LSB on lower bands but USB from 20m upwards.

73 Fred

NG0L likes this.
  3. 2E1HHK

Fred,
    All 20 meter LSB can not clarify in correctly, but USB is fine no problem there, so does that have any bearing on the matter?
    Noticed also very trebly voice, tinny to, as if requires more base note, have also plugged in my external vfo, and getting same results, but that could be also be down to not clarifying in correctly
    Open to suggestions!
    Mark

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes.
    40, 80 and 160 common usage is lower side band. (LSB) 20, 17, 15, 12 & 10 meters are all normally using upper side band (USB). You will not be able to properly hear any station clearly if you are on the "wrong" side band. It's really just that simple.

This common usage rule only applies to voice modes (phone). Other modes might differ.

KP4SX and N2EY like this.
  5. 2E1HHK

Ok that makes sense! But what I don’t understand is why on modern rigs LSB on 20 meters seems to be the norm? Even on my little xiegu rig I use for portable use, everyone seems to be on LSB? USB seems very quiet!
    Well if I have to use USB on 20 meters (phone)with this Ft101ZD Guess I will have to get used to it!
    Many thanks for your help and explanation
    Cheers
    Mark

6. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

LSB is not the norm on 20, USB is

N2EY likes this.
  7. 2E1HHK

Ok thanks, all understood

8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.

Almost all 20 meter amateur SSB operation is USB, due to a very long standing tradition among amateurs. LSB on 20 is allowed, but the vast majority of amateurs just follow the tradition.

That same tradition is to use LSB on 160, 75 and 40, and USB everywhere else.

The FT-101ZD gives you the choice of LSB or USB. Trying to receive the USB with the radio in LSB simply won't work.

The "clarifier" control on the FT-101ZD isn't what you seem to think it is. It's actually RIT (Receiver Incremental Tuning) and should normally be centered and turned off. Its purpose is to allow for "split" operation up to a kHz or two.

You should be able to tune SSB signals in with the clarifier off and the mode switch in the correct position for the band in use.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WG7X likes this.
  9. 2E1HHK

Hi Jim
    Yea I understand that it is in fact a RIT, just I was trying to tune it using RIT when I found it impossible to tune LSB 20 meters using main control, but now realise LSB doesn’t work on Ft101DZ on that band only USB, and that I can tune up on main control no problem!
    Was just perplexed why all my other rigs do LSB on 20 meters! But all’s good now!
    Cheers
    Mark

10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am glad to see that no one has yet posted the myth about how the USB/LSB tradition got started.

WG7X likes this.