FT1000MP 200watt classic oldie or new Icom 7300?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA9JOQ, Oct 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have read the same exact thing from 7300 owners/users in high RF environments. I too live a city, however a lot smaller then Seoul, but still suffer from high RF do to close in neighbors (city subdivision) and their electronic devices, etc.

Hence my goal of one day upgrading to the 3000, with that said I make do for now with my 450D best I can. The 7300 is very tempting with it’s fancy SDR and waterfall, etc, but I just have a feeling it would be a nightmare noise wise to operate in my current environment.

2. WA9JOQ

WA9JOQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good points, Tony. I am fortunate to never have had a home in a high noise area. I guess I take that for granted. We often hear a somewhat rare station operator calling CQ dozens of times on ft8 without hearing the multiple stations returning their calls. Frustrating for both sides.

KE0GXN likes this.
  3. KE0GXN

I used to live in a relatively low noise environment out in an unincorporated area. Had enough room to hang a full size G5RV and even a full size 160 dipole as well. Used to be able to work anyone I heard and bust most pile-ups with moderate effort at worst if I could hear the CQ caller.

But a new position at my job obligated a move, which led to where I am currently living now. Work wise it was a great move....amateur radio wise it was terrible. Small city lot, close neighbors, high RF noise, etc...But as the code states...Duty to work and family comes first.

I am looking forward to the day I move to a RF quiet location (most likely after I retire) and I try to stay from being depressed by realizing if I was able to work all the DX entities now, I would not have anything to look forward to when I retire..lol! :)

Best of luck with whatever radio you decide go with!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    WA9JOQ likes this.
  4. AJ2I

AJ2I Ham Member QRZ Page

If it was a MARK V or a Field, I would say either one. The MP is a different kettle of fish and has many known problems etc, that were fixed in the newer MARK V and the Field.

I would say go 7300. and that's coming from someone who loves his field.

WA9JOQ likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys that are complaining about receive, selectivity, or overload need to know how to run the Icom SDR radio before you complain

The IC 7300 is a SDR it is a feature called IP plus (IP+) , if you learn how to use this feature along with attenuators you'll be able to see how effective the ic7300 and 7610 are

You guys at are complaining I would encourage you to read this.

The IP+ Feature improves the receiver IMD (Intermodulation Distortion) by making the best use of the direct sampling architecture.
    THE IP+
    It optimizes the level of the ADC (Analogue/Digital Converter) for strong input signals in order to reduce distortion. It also minimizes the reduction in sensitivity for weak signals and improves IP3 (3rd order intercept point).

Fig.20: IP+ Softkey. Courtesy Icom Inc.
    [​IMG]
    1. Push FUNCTION.
    • The FUNCTION window opens.
    1. Touch IP+.
    • Every touch toggles the IP+ feature ON or OFF.
    • ON for better IP (linearity), OFF for better sensitivity.
    Fig.21: IP+ Indicator. Courtesy Icom Inc.
    [​IMG]
    1. Push EXIT to close the FUNCTION window.
    The IC-7300 IP+ (Intercept Point Plus).feature activates on-chip Dither and Randomization in the ADC. IP+ has two selectable modes; ON (optimum linearity) and OFF (optimum sensitivity).

It also had Improved phase noise performance due to low-noise ADC clock source (typ. RMDR: 97 dB at 1 kHz offset
    • 15 bandpass filters in RF preselector

• New "IP+" feature turns on ADC dither and randomizer to extend ADC dynamic range when strong signals are present

• Many of you are using the preamps when you need to be using the selectable attenuator SDRs receivers are very hot and on the lower frequencies and stronger signals there's a reason for the attenuators in fact the 7300 has Selectable 16 dB attenuator for LF/MF RX range (30 kHz - 1.6 MHz)
    Further reading: ADI Tutorial MT-004

I still contend that the 7300 is the best bang for the buck of any Radio currently on the market, it's not the main radio I use, but it's the best bang for the buck.

K2XT likes this.
  6. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since the 7300 came out I owned several of them. I currently still have one, plus a TS590SG.

You can quote the manual All day long and tell others they don’t know how to operate it. But I’m telling you that you’re dead wrong. The Kenwood blows the 7300 out of the water for close in interference of any kind. Been there done that.

K2XT likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have to agree - I have an IC-7300 and LOVE it for many reasons - but not when bands are crowded. LOTS of fun to use - and I use it for when it makes sense.

But even my lowly Yaesu FT-950 has vastly better "crowded band" performance in tough [contest] conditions, so for serious contesting I generally use the Yaesu.

The 7300 still holds my interest in many ways, and I still use it for more "casual contesting" - the panadapter is very nice and it has LOTS of cool features. It's a fun, easy to use radio and I like it.

But you are entirely correct IMO - the 7300 really falls apart in crowded band conditions

Dave
    W7UUU

W4ZD, WA9JOQ and K3EY like this.
  8. KE0GXN

For what its worth, (I do not own anything else to compare it to), I feel my 450D did exceptionally well in the recent CQ DX WW contest. The bands as those that participated know, were jam packed, I was still able to dig out signals and be heard through the massive QRM at times. Granted sometimes I had to put some cans on my head to dig them out, but all in all the 450D did very well considering my high noise environment I have to contend with.

Simply put, I was amazed at some of the entities I was able to log given the crazy crowded conditions and I will be the first one to admit the CQers did most of the heavy lifting with their great ears for this little pistol. ;)

WA9JOQ likes this.
  9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used the IP+ and it didn't do jack squat, but it DID actually RAISE my noise level, at times.

You can argue with Sherwood about it too, if you want. He felt it was a useless feature.

I owned that radio for 2 years, DX'd all over the world with it, and I'm telling you -- it SUCKS on 40m, in a big-city environment. Others are saying much the same. I knew there was a problem when I went from being able to work faint 40m signals on my old Yaesu FT950, and barely hearing them, or losing them entirely on the Icom. I put it up against my then-new FT-891 -- which is a cheap bottom-rung radio, but has a roofing filter -- and the 891 heard things on 40m the Icom could not, given my noise. Yes, ATT was on. Yes, I tried it with IP+. I went deep into the menus and piddled with every little thing that the 7300 could do, bandwidth, Twin PBT, IP+, etc.

Later, I sold the 891, and got a used Kenwood TS480SAT. That radio also heard things the 7300 was not. Same with the FTDX3000 I now own. I'm working 40m DX, again -- and doing so with much better average power output at 100w peak.

Now, just so you don't keep repeating the same crap as everyone else..

1. I was not using the pre-amp
    2. I was using the attenuator.
    3. The IP+ button was as useless as tits on bull. Even after all updates.
    4. I even used the RF Gain, when necessary.

I want to make this very clear to you -- the 7300 is lacking any substantial filtering that would be present on other radios. You have to pay-up to go to the 7610 before you get it, too. That model comes with a sort of moving filter that acts something like a preselector, I'm told. Makes a big difference.

The 7300 is an ENTRY LEVEL radio, and this is one of its big flaws.

The battery time-bomb is another, as many are finding -- probably the unsaid reason why we're seeing so many used ones go up for sale.

KE0GXN and WA9JOQ like this.
  10. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your post backups what I said and it is not operators error.

WA9JOQ likes this.