FT1000MP 200watt classic oldie or new Icom 7300?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA9JOQ, Oct 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9JOQ

WA9JOQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking for a new rig to replace my Yaesu 450D in our vacation home. Will be holding on to my FTDX1200 in the home QTH which serves me well. Want to venture into SDR at a reasonable price for the winter home and am considering the price point favorite the Icom 7300.

However when I browse today’s used market I find it hard to resist the classic FT1000MP now available at under $1,500 including the matching supply. The FT1000MP was an elite transceiver in its day but has been around for two decades. Although I have enjoyed our hobby for over 50 years I am not an EE. I can tinker with equipment problems and enjoy finding solutions which is a source of great satisfaction for all hams. But my electronic expertise falls short of most who post here :)

So here is my conundrum...buy the proven contest favorite classic which I admire but which may exhibit major problems I may not be equipped to handle or move forward with the newer technology including SDR and a new equipment factory warranty for less $$?

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

What happened to the 450D?

3. WA9JOQ

WA9JOQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 450D is a very nice rig. It will be my back up or possibly mobile rig.

4. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you’re unable to try both, I’d recommend you download the operation manuals for both, read through them and get an idea how each radio’s features work, and then decide which one best fits your needs. You might find that having two antenna outputs plus a RX ANT input is more important to you than a panadapter display.

N0TZU and WA9JOQ like this.
  5. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

If you live in a RF-quiet area and are listening for weak signals I would give serious consideration to the FT1000. In higher noise areas IMO the modern DSPs are better and in that case I would get the 7300.

WA9JOQ and NL7W like this.
  6. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's hard to believe the FT-1000MP is now considered a classic.
    I must be getting old...

NY7Z, W4ZD, WA9JOQ and 1 other person like this.
  7. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd go with the 200-Watt Classic...

WA9JOQ likes this.
  8. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-450D a contender? Are you kidding. It does not even have an antenna tuner. The FT1000 series are superior to the IC-7300. Buy a Clear Speech DNR speaker and never look back. The FT-1000 MP are under $1000 on ebay, likely same on Ham sites although some ask more $.

BTW- I use a Kenwood TS-950SD. Far superior to an IC-7300 I owned.

9. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

-I've owned and used both....interestingly I just found an FT 1000D in great shape, am buying it, and it will be my primary rig

W9RAC and WA9JOQ like this.
  10. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That outboard power supply for the FT-1000MP can be hard to get fixed if it fails.

K8AI and WA9JOQ like this.