FT transmissions interfering on 40 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4WFL, Feb 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W4WFL

W4WFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a fan of FT modes but if that is what people want to do, it is their business unless they bother others. I listen on 7.048 for code practice on W1AW everyday and everyday I hear FT or some other digital transmissions interfering with W1AW. These digital transmissions are becoming more and more and monopolizing a bit of rf space and there seems like they dominate spaces where they should not be. There are digital sub bands but they seem to move off these assigned frequencies and are becoming annoying to some others. Like I say, I am not a fan of them and not against anyone using them but I don't get the point of modes that take no operating skill to make contacts but when they interfere with others, that is another thing. Anyone have a clue who or what group is on 7.048 and interfering?

N4FZ, VE3FI, PU2OZT and 3 others like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the digital stuff, and that includes RTTY, should stay the heck above maybe 7060.

N4FZ, VE3FI, PU2OZT and 4 others like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What I hear on the CW sub-band on 40 much of the time is silence...well, except for the FT8 signals at 7074. ;)

I can't say I've heard FT8 in the 7050 area, but certainly someone could have started up RTTY or PSK31 or even FT8/4 there. Mostly the interference I hear to W1AW, however, is CW.

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that the controversial JT4 area?

WS4JM likes this.
  5. W4WFL

No it is not PSK or RTTY, most likely FT something. I am hearing it now at 0015 utc on 7.048.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. W4WFL

I usually don't run into JT except seeing everywhere on my analyzer. Is there controversy and where?

7. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some mode's been interfering with w1aw, from what I hear, and that it is jt4. Pass this rumor on.

W4NNF likes this.
  8. KP4SX

Is JT4 the same as FT4?

WS4JM likes this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

For the sake of argument here, yes.

10. KP4SX

I guess. I could decode a couple of guys on FT4 but nothing by selecting JT4.

KA4DPO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.