FT-991A no TX on SSB

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by EI5FA, May 24, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. EI5FA

EI5FA Ham Member QRZ Page

hi all,

My FT-991A has just developed a strange issue. I have no output on SSB on any band.
    CW,AM,FM,Digi are all fine, no problems. Just SSB. I have adjusted mic gain, AGC to no avail.
    On keying the mic the red the tx indictor chenged to red and i hear the relay click but no tx output.
    I have done a full factory reset also to no avail.
    Help appreciated.
    Graham EI5FA

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have transmitted Audio OK when you try AM or FM?

Roger G3YRO

3. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

SSB only produces output if you speak in the microphone, i hope you set the input for SSB to the front input the microphone input in the menu?

4. EI5FA

hi, I checked audio on Am and FM after I posted. Nothing , so looks like faulty mic which is a bit strange as it just sits on the desk. Doesnt get touched otherwise.

5. EI5FA

yes, mic input is set to mic on the menu.

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that's why I got you to check that.

Obviously if the Mic is faulty, you will get no output on SSB.

It's probably one of the wires broken at the plug end . . . but with those stupid plastic plugs on those mics you can't re-solder them !

I see you can buy a cheaper mic on eBay that doesn't have all the buttons . . . if you don't use them, you could get one of those.

Here's a tip about ANY of these types of Mics - take the front off and drill through the silly little hole in front of the mic element - it will sound a million times better !

Roger G3YRO

7. EI5FA

thanks for the tip. I actually replaced the lead with a cat5 cable i had. Same issue. I can hear it keying up but no audio. As it happens I discovered its still under warranty by the skin of its teeth so ive sent the mic off to MLS .
    Hopefully they can sort it out.