FT-991A 'HI SWR' when using ATU in 40m and lower bands

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by PY2RAF, May 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi;

I would like to share an issue that happened to me today while using the ATU in 40m band.

I was doing some tests in 7.290 and this is a bit off my antenna comfort zone - and I resorted to the ATU to put the radio in a comfortable operational envelope. The radio happily tunes - but when you transmit it brings the HI SWR flag.

After some research, I found (not believing entirely) that this boils down to ATU board grounding pads covered with solder mask/lacquer. Guess what? It was indeed the case - and mine is a 2018 series FT-991A.

I have documented the whole thing how to identify and fix in https://github.com/rfrht/FT-991A/wiki/Poor-Grounding-in-FT-991A-Tuner-Unit

After fixing the grounding issue; I didn't even had to re-tune: I transmitted and got very low VSWR with the internal ATU - as expected.

Hope this is of help; 73 de PY2RAF.

PA5COR, KD2RCF and N2PQW like this.
  2. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KD2RCF likes this.
  3. KD2RCF

KD2RCF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Rodrigo:

Thank you for posting this !! My new FT-991a started having the "High SWR" problem... your description of the problem and fix is excellent ! Fixed my problem in 15 minutes !!

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!

'73 Don KD2RCF

PY2RAF likes this.