FT-991A and WSJT-X Problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W9BRI, Aug 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger (AC9BT):

Nope. Don't think so. No SCU-17 needed - especially since that's the circuit already built into the FT-991A. No evil plans on the part of Yaesu. You just need to figure out how to set the FT-991A up properly. Any HF rig digital mode/sound card setup can be a little trying the first time. So many FT-991A users out there on FT-8 that we'd have a hurricane of complaints if that was the case.

Richard (K7RJB):

Ummmm. I've NEVER had to reinstall the driver. I just select the port I'd like to use in WSJT-X or HRD, and it does change from radio to radio, but not a big deal. I use it with four different radios at 3 different QTHs, plus mobile: 2 x FTDX-3000 and 2 x FT-991. Works every time, very easy to configure. Just carry the laptop from QTH to QTH and I'm good to go. And I have a LOT of stuff plugged into the other ports (WN-2d, rotor controller, SDRplay...)

Brian - K6BRN

2. KG7JLN

KG7JLN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm taking a guess since I use an IC-7100 which has the usb connection and sound card. I tried to duplicate your symptoms and came up with a possible wstj-x fix. I can set the radio modulation mode, using the IC-7100 controls, to USB-D (which means upper side band - data). However, if I have the USB circle checked on the wsjt-x "Radio" page and press the tune button, the radio will switch to USB mode (and should since you checked the USB mode circle). The USB circle should not be checked because you don't want to be in the upper side band mode. You want to be in the upper side band digital mode. For the IC-7100, I check the Data/Pkt mode circle. That way even if your radio is not in the correct mode, for some reason, wsjt-x sets it to the correct mode.