FT-991A and WSJT-X Problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W9BRI, Aug 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger (AC9BT):

Nope. Don't think so. No SCU-17 needed - especially since that's the circuit already built into the FT-991A. No evil plans on the part of Yaesu. You just need to figure out how to set the FT-991A up properly. Any HF rig digital mode/sound card setup can be a little trying the first time. So many FT-991A users out there on FT-8 that we'd have a hurricane of complaints if that was the case.

Richard (K7RJB):

Ummmm. I've NEVER had to reinstall the driver. I just select the port I'd like to use in WSJT-X or HRD, and it does change from radio to radio, but not a big deal. I use it with four different radios at 3 different QTHs, plus mobile: 2 x FTDX-3000 and 2 x FT-991. Works every time, very easy to configure. Just carry the laptop from QTH to QTH and I'm good to go. And I have a LOT of stuff plugged into the other ports (WN-2d, rotor controller, SDRplay...)

Brian - K6BRN

2. KG7JLN

KG7JLN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm taking a guess since I use an IC-7100 which has the usb connection and sound card. I tried to duplicate your symptoms and came up with a possible wstj-x fix. I can set the radio modulation mode, using the IC-7100 controls, to USB-D (which means upper side band - data). However, if I have the USB circle checked on the wsjt-x "Radio" page and press the tune button, the radio will switch to USB mode (and should since you checked the USB mode circle). The USB circle should not be checked because you don't want to be in the upper side band mode. You want to be in the upper side band digital mode. For the IC-7100, I check the Data/Pkt mode circle. That way even if your radio is not in the correct mode, for some reason, wsjt-x sets it to the correct mode.

3. KE1G

KE1G Ham Member QRZ Page

In case you haven't given up by now, or in case someone else finds it useful:
    Once you have selected none or fake-it, then your radio is probably still in split mode (from when you had rig mode). That is, above the frequency knob, where the leds are, the red and green bars are under separate VFO labels. I was going to say they are separated, rather than close, but I don't know whether you can get receive (green) on VFO B, and transmit (red) on VFO A, in which case they would still be adjacent, but for separate VFOs still. I need a flashlight to see the labels over the leds.
    Anyway, having changed WSJT-X from rig to either none or fake-it, then press the split button to take the radio out of split, putting the two lit bars under VFO A (or at least both under the same VFO label). WSJT-X will put it back in split if you select rig, but doesn't take it out of split when you leave rig. And it's also not clever enough, apparently, to put VFO B into the selected data/pkt mode when it splits. Probably a problem with the 991 definitions it uses. (I have a 991A. It would be interesting to hear whether the 991 behaves the same way.) I'm using WSJT-X v2.0.1 7ddcb7 on Windows 10, by the way.
    Anyway, having finally gotten output with none and cancel split, I set up both VFOs to D-U (and found a few other settings that differed, like width, and fixed them) by use of the A/B button, and now I also get output in rig mode.
    I subsequently found that the A=B button can help with this, copying, I presume, *ALL* of the per VFO data from one to the other. But note that the button, by my lights, works backwards. As a computer programmer, I expect "A=B" to copy from B to A, but it actually goes from A to B (so I would have preferred a rightward pointing arrow in place of the equals sign, but we have what we have).
    I should if I can figure out how to submit an appropriate WSJT bug report (if not fixable by sending an A=B cat command before going split, then at least ii's a documentation bug).

4. K6BRN

Hmmm. Well, as a computer programmer, I'd expect you to be more AGILE than that, especially since the guys who set the button functions were probably other programmers in a SCRUM.

Well... thanks for the SMALLTALK, but I'm tired, developing a LISP from lack of sleep and need a cup of JAVA to help me switch CONTEXT before I go to bed.

:)

Brian - K6BRN

5. KE1G

KE1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Agile, eh? You must be one of those new guys (as Bing said to Frank in High Society). Yep. The 991A manual does remind me of something a programmer would write.

6. K6BRN

Heh! Nope. Just an old guy in charge of a younger team. Still have a few miles left on me yet!

Brian

7. G4TKO

G4TKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the same problem
    When I set it up it works for a few QSO then without touching anything comes up with problem with audio config
    I have a feeling it could be a problem with my USB cable
    Awaiting delivery of new cable

John

8. K6BRN

In mobile use (no station ground or CMC, wire antenna thrown up between two trees, station not too far away), I've had intermittent problems with the FT-991 when operating FT8. My solution was to place toroidal chokes at each end of the cable and the problem stopped. So I've made this SOP for all of my USB computer to radio cables. This is becoming a long thread, so I don't know if you've tried that yet. If not, it may be an easy fix.

Brian - K6BRN

9. G4TKO

G4TKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Problem solved the smallest sniff of RF causes the problem I am now using USB cable with Ferrite Chokes at each end also rerouted the cable
    73's

John

10. AD0RS

AD0RS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing issues with this rig. I absolutely detest my FT-991A and wish I had never purchased it. I just ran into this thread but seriously I've tried about everything now. All the firmware is up to date, I've tried multiple cables (yes, even cables with ferrite chokes), multiple computers, multiple operating systems, and so many damn settings mentioned on numerous HAM websites. I thought a rig with an onboard audio card would make life easier and that has not been the case. In general I have the same issue, JS8Call will put the rig in transmit mode but no power is indicated on the rig itself or through the antenna tuner's power meter. I can receive and decode signals just fine. I've tinkered with all the audio settings on both a Debian based RPi4 and a Windows 10 based pc with the officially provided Yaesu usb drivers that were installed correctly based on their installation instructions.
    My advice is to avoid this transceiver. It has completely killed my interest in radio.