FT-991A and WSJT-X Problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W9BRI, Aug 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9BRI

W9BRI Ham Member QRZ Page

I hooked up the computer to the 991A last night and I am receiving great. Problem is that when I try to transmit the program goes into the transmit mode but I do not show any power output on the meter in the radio. I am guessing that it is a setting somewhere just have no idea if it is a software problem or some setting in the 991. Anyone else had this same problem?

2. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your COM port PTT is not correct in the software.

3. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you gone to the Yaesu site, downloaded and installed the FT-991 USB driver on your computer, which creates two USB ports, one for audio and one for control? That's the first step.

4. W9BRI

Yes I did K6BRN. I have tried various rig menu settings that I have found all over the net to no avail. I have attempted every RTS, DTS, VOX, CAT hardware, handshake, et setting I could think of within the rig setup in WSJT-X. Have not got it yet.

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure about your 991 but some rigs, like my TS2000 need an external VOX PTT to make the radio go into transmit. Is your tx light coming on or not? If it's not, you'll need to VOX key the radio somehow. If it is, you may be putting the audio into the wrong aux connector.

6. K6BRN

The audio I/O is through the USB port into the sound card built into the radio and PTT is a command sent over the USB interface.

What rig control software are you using? I'm running WSJT-X and HRD... Right now I'm on a trip with the radio and computer and may be able to set it up tomorrow to check the settings (depends on what my family is in the mood to do, and the weather).

Brian - K6BRN

7. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you just confirm for us, does the radio itself switch to TX ?
    Frank, g0gsr

8. W9BRI

I will need to verify this evening. I do know that when I enable TX all audio does cut out and WSJT-X does show it as being in the 47 second transmit period but I honestly have not looked at the 991 to see if I had a TX light. I have only scrolled through the meters and found no PO showing.

9. KD5LRQ

KD5LRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm having the same issue with my 991A. I'm using Fldigi with the same result. My theory is that it is a setting issue, but there is very little info about the 991A rig running digital out there. I can confirm that the radio is in TX, but there is no PO indicated. Has anybody gotten it to work yet??

10. K6BRN

Bryan:

I run the FT991 mainly in digital modes for RTTY, JT65 and JT9, using HRD, WSJT-X and JTALERT. It works great. So do some of my other ham buddies. So YEAH! A lot of us have gotten it to work on the FT-991.

Yes.... its a setting. On your computer, in the ham S/W or in the radio. Since I'm in the middle of testing and cannot run to my radio and computer to run through all the possibilities, you'll need to Google "How to run JT65 on FT-991" or similar. Plenty of info out there.

First thing to check is whether you installed the Yaesu dual (virtual) USB port driver from their website.

Brian - K6BRN