FT-991A and System Fusion issues

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by KA0RG, Sep 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it a multi-mode repeater? My local repeater is both Fusion and DStar implemented using PiStar firmware and I do find that it is often more successful if I blip the microphone for a second or two before hitting the WiresX button. These multi-mode repeaters cycle round the various modes configured and there can be a momentary delay before they recognise the mode they are receiving. The timing of the WiresX command handling seems to be rather tight and that delay can throw it off. A multimodal repeater will usually have a hang time configured - once it recognises the mode of the incoming signal, it will lock in that mode for a period of time.

Martin G8FXC

2. KA0RG

KA0RG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I check the firmware and I have the latest versions for all four.
    Ron

3. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

There seems to be so much misunderstanding of the Wires-X and Fusion systems. I'm certainly not expert enough to teach a class on it all, but I've been down the road far enough to offer some clarity. I hope this helps.

@KA0RG, Have you REGISTERED your information on the Yaesu/Wires-X database? You will be able to use C4FM on a local repeater, but not on their Network until you are granted an ID for the network.
    Register HERE:
    https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/index.php
    New Member Register.jpg

@W9KEY, The HRI-200 is not needed for the FT-991A, most of that functionality is built in to this radio. Here's @W4EAE describing it:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...th-ft-991a-wires-x.659977/page-2#post-5916540

(Remember that, for whatever technical reason, the FT-991A CANNOT be used as a "NODE", but all other Wires-X functions are cooked into the FT-991A.)

@G8FXC, the need for the SQUELCH setting is not a bug or failure, it is indeed a FEATURE, and is absolutely necessary for the proper operation of any digital communication protocol I can think of. (I may not be thinking of all of them, don't roast me on that!)
    Have you ever tried a CW Decoder on a crowded band? When the software hears two or more signals at the same time, the display just shows random characters, as it has no way of separating the competing dots and dashes.
    It's the same for Wires-X and C4FM (and DSTAR and X25 and ...). The system can only process one discreet signal at a time, so you must wait for the channel to be clear to allow your transmission.
    The "Busy Channel Lock Out" is an integral part of the software, and the radio won't transmit using C4FM until there is no signal being heard (including static) on the frequency.

Check out my description about setting the Squelch from this thread about the FT-7250D:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/yaesu-7250d-wiresx-issues.776736/page-2#post-5956996

Again, I hope this will help you @KA0RG, let us know how it turns out!

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

WA0CBW likes this.
  4. G8FXC

Hmmm, Busy Channel Lockout is fine - my DMR radios implement that too - but they look for the absence of a DMR signal, not closed analogue squelch...

Martin (G8FXC)

N2PQW likes this.
  5. N2PQW

Yes, but the DMR systems are digital only, and don't expect ANALOG FM or any other mode to be competing, so they don't care if the frequency is busy with other traffic. Don't forget that the DMR is taken from business and Public Service systems, and they are very "channelised", so their mode is likely the only one to be heard. (Just ask any Policeman about the "BONK" sound when they are trying to call the dispatcher!)

One of the few advantages of Yaesu's system is that the radios and repeaters can be used in either FM or C4FM mode, depending on the choices of the repeater's operator, and so the software has to expect that there may be Analog or Digital users already on the frequency, and they have to act accordingly.
    Again, it's a well-thought-out feature, not a bug.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

6. G8FXC

Ah, there is perhaps a significant difference between the implementation in the US and on this side of the big pond - very few of our C4FM repeaters actually implement analogue - they are pure digital. My nearest repeater is dual mode, but not WiresX linked and digital operation is almost unheard of.

Martin (G8FXC)

N2PQW likes this.
  7. N2PQW

That's all up to the discretion of the repeater owner.
    Here in the US, I'm sure there are every variation of the system in use, and probably many that are the same as the repeaters that you've experienced. I don't think it's a country or region-specific thing.

It would seem that Yaesu didn't want to abandon the traditional FM users altogether, so the system can handle both, but obviously not at the same time.

Notice the "AMS" function? If this is implemented on both the repeater and on the users' radios, then the repeater will automatically switch itself and ALL THE USERS' RADIOS to the lowest-common-denominator, or FM mode, if an FM user accesses the repeater while in C4FM mode.
    (I know I'm not explaining this very well, and sorry if I'm adding to the confusion, but I think the Yaesu manuals describe it more clearly.)

Anyway, the repeater owner decides what levels of access they will allow, and turns on or off the features they desire.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

8. N2PQW

My honest apologies!
    "POLICEPERSON"

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

9. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To be clear, you must register in order to host a node on the WIRES-X network. NO registration is required for full use of WIRES-X on an extant node or repeater.

VE3TSV likes this.
  10. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

• Per his original message, we were attempting to help KA0RG get his FT-991A working with a Fusion repeater, then connect to Wires-X.
    • Regarding the HRI-200 (please re-read my post #9) - I didn't say it was needed for the FT-991A - only that it or internet (at the repeater site) might be down, thus preventing his Wires-X connection.