FT-991/A Detailed Menu description

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by PY2RAF, Mar 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi there, QRZ Community! \o

After witnessing a number of users having trouble with 991/A menu system, and matter of fact, the less than super helpful Yaesu manual, I put up an Wiki documenting each of the main menu items of the 991/A, with examples, use cases, hints and a few more gimmicks.

I created an interface that sort of resembles what the screen shows for easier lookup and navigation.

Address: https://github.com/rfrht/FT991A-PAT/wiki/appendix-ft-991-a-menu-settings

This is intended to be a light and whenever possible fun read - It is also a work in progress. It is still lacking proper documentation of the CW features. Help appreciated.

If you spot something wrong and/or if you want to contribute, file an issue in https://github.com/rfrht/FT991A-PAT/issues - or, post here in the thread or e-mail me! Will be more than glad to update with your contribution.

Hope this is of help - and stay safe.

73 de PY2RAF - Rodrigo.

PA5COR, WE4E, KU3X and 2 others like this.
  2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

@PY2RAF Rodrigo,
    Once again, your superior effort is much appreciated!

My personal comments:
    - I sure would love to have seen this a month ago; I was searching for the operation of the 5hz/10hz function, mostly by trial and error. I finally discovered the description in the manual, Page 23 (in the version I have). I have rarely used the Clarifier function, as so it was unlikely that I'd have "stumbled upon" it in my normal operating.

- It would be OUTSTANDING if the folks at Yaesu should happen to follow your threads and comments, perhaps refining the user-interface to a more logical layout.
    (i.e. All CW adjustment on a single menu page, all receiver adjustments/filtering on another; generally, grouped together by function, rather than scattered about). Have you tried to engage them at all? I wonder if the US-based facility has any control over the programming, or if it is all the domain of the Japan engineers?

- Your "Appendix" is fantastic, listed in order of the radio's Menu "Page Number", but of course, the actual menus on the display have no numbering or ordering reference, as have been on the FT-8x7 series, and others. This is not a complaint about your methodology, only mentioning this to other users who might be searching their radios for a corresponding reference, and not finding it.

- THANK YOU for providing all of this in English! My formidable capabilities :rolleyes: do not include knowledge of the Portuguese language, and hardly enough Spanish to follow along. I'll try to improve, but I'm grateful for your indulgence.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

PA5COR and PY2RAF like this.
  3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Older Rigs Performance
    I have a FT990 and it is about 20 years older than the 991, I find the knobs and buttons on the front panel to control every fucndtion I need, instantly. It may be one of the last GOOD functioning rigs without the menue maze to go thru to control almost all the radio's functions. The receiver is so good that many of the ops who l can hear Q5 can't hear me well enough to have a QSO.
    Can't testify to it's operation on SSB or DIGI modes because I am pretty much all CW here.
    I will hold onto this rig for as long as I can !

4. PY2RAF

Hey David!!!!

Thank you very much for your kind words, suggestions and ideas!

I have just completed the CW functions, added more clarity to some parts and it is now only lacking the C4FM functions.

Yea, as Trevor, @AG7GX posted in groups.io:
    So true.

I did. I sent this material, the bugs that I have found and functionality suggestions to the American support rep, Rodger. But... If and how the information flows internally, this we will never know. He thanked me and that was it.

It seems the development/engineering team is 100% Japanese. It would be great if we could get some backchannel with them, but... I never got past from Rodger.

You are right and accurate - There are no kind of index or numbering of the menu pages - and this would be something handy and useful to give reference to fellow operator (or even from the support rep). I have "named" the page by guessing the intent of the developer by the functions grouped on a page. Oh, and the pages are sequential. I have declared page number 1 the first page after the "Swap" page.

And as per your suggestion, I have renamed from "Menu" to "Page". That looks more accurate.

I hope to finish the C4FM stuff by the next weekend. Thanks for the appreciation and very happy to see people finding use in this effort.

My best regards - And stay safe!!!

AG7GX likes this.
  5. PY2RAF

6. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a PDF version of this available? Or am I just missing the download link?

7. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Appreciate your hard work, although I do not own a 991A.

The necessity for your detailed info was one of the contributing factors of why I did NOT
    buy a 991A but opted for the IC 7300. Deep nested menus are rarely fun.

8. PY2RAF

Hello Eric!

I have seen people asking about this a number of times -

will find out a way to make a pdf version available.