FT-950 rig control

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by M3ENF, Sep 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. M3ENF

M3ENF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all,

I've had a bit of a "break" in the hobby but am now back. I've got an FT-950 and need advice on the best place to get a rig control cable. I did buy a 'cheap' Chinese cable a few years back and bent one of the pins trying to get it into the back of the rig, so gave up.

Are the cables all USB at the PC end now? I can't remember what it was when I bought the cheap one.

I'm in the UK but happy to purchase outside the UK if need be. I'm afraid I don't buy from ML&S or Waters & Stanton (personal reasons, very bad experiences with both sadly).

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-950 has a 9-Pin serial DB-9 jack that allows direct connection to a computer's RS-232 Com Port. But most computers no longer have RS-232 Serial Ports. They only have USB ports. So what you need is a USB to Serial Port converter cable. Something like this USB to RS232 Cable Assembly. A google search on "USB to Serial Port Converter cable" may find one that's closer to you. Just make sure it is supported for the OS (W7, W10, etc.) you are using.

3. M3ENF

Ok, I found these:

https://radioarena.co.uk/programmin...-950-/-1000mp-/-2000-/-9000-transceivers.html

That one is the rig control and this one:

https://radioarena.co.uk/data-mode-...ers-fitted-with-6-pin-mini-din-data-jack.html

Is for data modes. I'd forgotten it was two completely separate cables. I initially want the rig control, so it looks like USB to DB-9 is possible. As for the data modes cable, those two headphone type ends go into where the speakers are already? I can't remember how many sockets there are on the back, I have one taken up with the speaker socket now. Maybe that's for another day. I seem to remember Radio Arena are where I got the data mode cable from before, it looks familiar.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  4. M3ENF

Updating my post to say I went with the Yaesu SCU-17. It's connected, I have rig control but having trouble with digi modes setup. I'm getting signals but nothing legible on RTTY (even though the contest is on right now). WSJT-X is working, signals coming there but I've no idea what I'm doing with the software, lol. Nowhere near transmitting on anything digital until I can work out if my settings are right. Thankfully have some help from Dave behind DXLab which I'm using for RTTY. I'll work on WSJT-X after I get that sorted out.