FT-950 Rig Control

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by NN3V, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NN3V

NN3V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am using a Yaesu FT-950 which is supported by N1MM. The radio CAT is set on COM2. I entered COM2 on the configuration settings in N1MM. But the radio frequency and associated controls do not work, The VFO A frequency does not show up on the N1MM bandmap or QSO log. Any ideas on nature of the problem and the fix?. 73 de NN3B

2. K3TP

K3TP Ham Member QRZ Page

The baud rate used by the radio has to match the com port's baud. Hardware handshaking (dtr/cts) has to match. And finally, parity , and stop bits (1 or 2) have to match. I have a 950 hooked up to a laptop through a USB to serial cable. It took me a while to realize that the radio's com port baud rate setting did not match the computer's.

3. NN3V

Thanks. But the radio already talks to another program through the same comport. So I think the baud rate is OK.:eek:

4. K3TP

K3TP Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like n1mm is either not configured to use the com port device settings or it doesn't see the device driver. Look at the device settings for the program that works, and duplicate those settings in n1mm. It sounds to me like you don't have n1mm configured correctly or n1mm can't talk to the serial port device driver.

5. AA8IA

AA8IA Subscriber QRZ Page

You said that you set N1MM to use COM2. You also stated that another program can talk to the radio on COM2. On the radio there are baud rate settings, and in N1MM are baud rate settings. Those settings must match.

I'd recommend setting N1MM's COM2 configuration to 38400,N,8,1 and then make sure you have the baud rate on the FT-950 (adjustable via a menu option, I don't remember which) to 38400 as well.

It's likely a baud rate mismatch between N1MM and the radio.

You might ask, "how come it would work with one program and not N1MM?" Well, the answer to that is that the other program might be already configured with the same comport settings as the FT-950 menu system is set for, and N1MM may be assuming different values.

So verify that both N1MM and the FT-950 are set to the same baud rate, whether that be 9600, 38400 or one of the other FT-950 options. Again, I recommend 38,400.

Mike

6. NN3V

Thanks. But the other program and N1MM have exactly the sane configuration settings. And N1MM tells me that the radio is not seen when I've forgotten to turn the radio on before I start the N1MM program. So N1MM is talking to the radio.

73 de NN3V

7. NN3V

FT-950 Rig Control & N1MM

Thanks to all who posted replies to my question. As you can see, I believe the issue of configurating N1MM is not the issue here, since N1MM is seeing the radio.

One anomaly I noted today when I started N1MM and tetsted the logging of a contact was that when I hit enter to log the contact, I get an error message that says "The radio mode is not set. The radio may not be connected".

Now I know the radio is connected because N1MM tells me it is there.

How does one set a mode in N1MM? I've looked at the online help and there is no indication of what the error means, or how to fix it. Perhaps if the mode were set correctly, the frequency logging would be corrected too?

73 de NN3V

8. NN3V

FT-959 Rig Control Problem Solved

Again, thanks to all who posted replies.

The N1MM software is now working.

The problem had nothing to do with configuring the software or the COM ports.

The problem was that the FT-959 was in "memory tune" mode.

N1MM does nit like that mode.

Placing the radio in VFO tune mode solved the problem.

So the message to FT-959 users is simple. Make sure the radio is in VFO tune mode if you are going to use N1MM

73 de NN3V

9. NN3V

FT-959 Rig Control Problem Solved

Again, thanks to all who posted replies.

The N1MM software is now working.

The problem had nothing to do with configuring the software or the COM ports.

The problem was that the FT-950 was in "memory tune" mode.

N1MM does nit like that mode.

Placing the radio in VFO tune mode solved the problem.

So the message to FT-950 users is simple. Make sure the radio is in VFO tune mode if you are going to use N1MM

73 de NN3V

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.