FT-950: first impressions...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by IT9JCB, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

OK no problem. One of the problems that comes along with these menu driven radios is they make us do something we never thought we had to do before. That is: reading the manual. They have mure useful functions than anything we have used in days gone by, but sometimes we may have to do a little research with the manual to utilize them. I have a 756 PRO and a IC 7000 and I make sure the manuals are always within easy reach.

Yes, you are right, we need to get educated before we attempt to use them. I guess it never hurts to learn something new. I just wish it was as easy to learn as it used to be.

Keep us updated on your progress with the radio and Good Luck.

73, Al

2. KD4QFT

KD4QFT Ham Member QRZ Page

ft-950

I have been away from radio for 15 years and have been looking at reviews for equipment, I have seen the member listed on these pages using two differant call signs one apperantly not yet released for use to give a zero review and also with the differant call sign a 2 review for the 950, I also have two call signs I can legally use from differant Countries but would only judge once, it is unfair to give reviews more than once, if you wish to change a previous review delete the first and then correct your previous judgement, if the web site does not allow this, do not judge too quickly, and please Amateurs we have always been judged a group of weirdoes by "normal "people but we all tried to help each other so stop bitching and just help.

3. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure who you are talking about with the two reviews. I know that at least three guys who gave reviews in this thread have sold their FT-950's. It was reviewed in QST recently and It didn't seem they were very impressed with it either.

4. KD4QFT

KD4QFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ft-950

Hi
    The reviewer I have looked at is on eHam site giving a zero with one call sign and a 2 with another call sign, I decided to look up their licence details for length of licence class etc as most other hams are giving 3 to 5 and found the same name to both the licence details, I then decided this was a person with a gripe with the company and not really a review to take note of, I am unsure how you can give a zero any way unless the equipment did not switch on from new, it is really difficult understanding reviews from most hams as only a few seem to back up their information with actual numbers or scales, your monthly review is what is required about actually using the unit over a length of time not a couple of days, I seem to think I am the only ham who looks into the equipment reviews for ages BEFORE buying or I do not yet have enough money to buy whatever and sell two days later because of a whim.
    I am considering the 950 for the following
    Cost $1330 is best price in USA I can find, any one know cheaper post on here.
    The receiver as the capability of having the added external filter for the bands I prefer.
    I assume the short falls various hams find will be updated with a menu driven unit with future downloads.
    External psu, cheaper to return faulty units with shipping costs etc.
    Oh and did I mention cost.
    And the main reason cost is the winner, more expensive is not always the better purchase.
    I have personal experience where selling items too cheaply can cost the cheaper dealer the sale, but that's another story.
    PLEASE update your findings as I am still considering a second Kenwood 830 to add to my original one or maybe go back to stamp or coin collecting and put 830 back under bed for another 15 years by that time I will probably not need any radio or any other type of junk.

5. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

Nit

That is one nit with Eham. If you want to update or amend your review, you can't. You are FORCED to either enter another review or just skip it.

I like many others, downloaded the manual and read it, read it and read it some more.

If I didn't need or watn 6 meters, the 830 is a super receiver just as is teh TS-850. But if you are wanting something new, then the 950 may work for you. It didn't as a back up radio for me and I have no regrets parting with mine.

You have to consider your needs and cost. For me, I wanted something with better capability for low bands which it failed miserably. However, if I was just a generic rag chewer, then it would work for me and be a reasonably new radio.

You have to be critical when you are buying something new and spending whether it be $1000 or 10000.

6. ae5eh

ae5eh Guest

Make a choice.

Sometimes it takes some work to figure out what you really want in a radio. You can't get something for nothing. If you want more, it may, and most likely will most of the time cost you. The 950 was not a bad radio for the price. I felt like I got more or less what I paid for. But it wasn't enough, so I sold it and got a brand new IC756PROIII. Big improvement over the 950, and a fair improvement over the basket case 756PRO I had.

Well, this month, it was either Dayton, or another radio toy. So I got a new IC7700. Yeah, I think this thing will keep me engaged for a while. I believe I will have to work pretty hard to find it's limitations.

7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Love my 950. RX good and love the Tx equalizer for the price. My only complaint is not being able to find out how to transmit on one antenna and receive on a different one without having to switch.

8. ae5eh

ae5eh Guest

Firmware upgrade?

Have you heard anything official about the first firmware upgrade? The 950 is a decent radio. I'm thinking the first firmware upgrade will make it even better.

73 de terry ae5eh

9. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like the voice of experience to me. How is that 950 doing now?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  10. ae5eh

ae5eh Guest

Yup

:)
    Yup, for sure my friend. Dollars paid, hands on using it in just about all the ways I cared to see it used in. My own digging and searching. I wanted more than the 950 was capable of giving, so rather than pissing and moaning about what I thought it should do (wow, who would do such a thing?) I quietly sold it, and got something else. But unlike so many others always looking for everything for nothing, and slamming the 950, I didn't. Looking back on it, I don't regret owning it. I still think it was a decent radio overall for the price, which is cheaper now than when I purchased mine.

How's my FT950 doing? Couldn't tell you for sure, but I can put you in touch with the guy that bought it from me, and you can ask him if you like.

And, has the first firmware upgrade come out for the FT950? Maybe you can tell me. I've seriously considered buying another one as a collectors item before mother batwing sells Yaesu. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.