FT-901DM Trap door

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AI7CH, Nov 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AI7CH

AI7CH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    I recently finished restoring a 901dm, but am missing the 'latch' for the VOX trap door. I tried posting a 'wanted' a while back but no luck. I know it's a pretty small issue, but no sense stopping when it's so close.

I'm willing to try to fabricate one (or a close facsimile), but I have no idea what it looks like or how it works. All that's left are holes in the door and top cover.

Anyone with a 901 or 902 with an intact latch care to help me out with a pic or two? Or if someone remembers...
    Thanks, 73's,
    Bill

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's some shots of the latch from my FT-902DM
    IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1591.JPG

WD5GWY likes this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might try gambling a few bucks to see if one of the Kenwood accessory door fasteners on this page fits your 901DM cover: https://www.k4eaa.com/parts.htm Just scroll down to Panel Fasteners.

4. AI7CH

Got it, thanks! I kind of thought it would be a plastic do-hickey that most like died or disappeared over the years. I'll think about making some sort of snap out of aluminum.

I recently heard about Ken, k4eaa, too (SK, unfortunately), as I recently purchased a TS-830S to restore as well. We'll see what I can find out.
    Thanks!
    Bill

5. W1GCI

W1GCI Ham Member QRZ Page

They're called Pop Fasteners. I say a number of kits on e-bay but more expensive than I'd be willing to pay.

6. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. AI7CH

Thanks for all your replies. I found "push rivets" that actually come in a size for the 7.5mm hole in the panel and are the right length for the 2 layers of sheet metal. Made as automotive panel fasteners. Ordered a package of 4 for cheap, so we'll see how they fit.
    73's,
    Bill