FT-897 Disable TX

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N8XD, Aug 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8XD

N8XD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey,

I'm looking to give an old FT-897 to my godson for shortwave listening. He doesn't have a license yet and I don't know if he'll ever be interested. But to make sure no accidents happen I'd like to totally disable Transmit. I don't mind cutting wires, or desoldering parts inside, pulling jumpers etc. I see in the menus where you can disable it band by band, but he's a button pusher. ;) So Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Keith
    N8XD

2. K7VZ

K7VZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Disconnect the mic. There are ways to enable tx without the mic, but that should stop any accidental transmissions.

KD5RJZ and N8XD like this.
  3. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

How old is he? If he's 10 or older, I'd give him the radio as-is, and tell him if he ever transmits - he'll go to federal prison. Of course, he'll probably figure out that the radio is worth some serious coin and sell it to buy pogs or fidgit spinners, or whatever it is that kids spend their money on these days....

N8XD likes this.
  4. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

The older FT series, like the FT757 could disable the TX by unhooking one of the plus terminals on the Cinch plug for the power. Don't know if the newer ones are like that, may be worth investigating. Or give him a PS that won't handle the TX, like 1-2A.

N8XD likes this.
  5. KK4CUL

KK4CUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You could place a 50 ohm high power resistor in the battery location and wire it to the ANT jack haha.
    Or just remove the mic. However, at 10 years old I was curious and determined enough to plug in a CAT5 cable and figure out which pins activate TX. Probably would not have gotten audio working though.

N8XD likes this.
  6. KL1T

KL1T Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be happy to take this "dangerous" radio off your hands and trade it for a "safe" scanner! No need to destroy the radio, and no accidents with TX on your end.

N8XD likes this.
  7. N8XD

N8XD Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx for the great ideas guys! Im kind of worried about the menu items that tx without the mic, like the cw memories, etc

8. KL1T

KL1T Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm only slightly kidding. Look at the selling price on ebay. You can but a great MF/HF/VHF scanner for less than that radio sells for. It sends the radio to someone who will use it, and gives the kid exactly the tool for what you want him to do. (Unless you expect him to take the test sometime in the next few years)

N8XD likes this.
  9. KK4CUL

KK4CUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KL1T (That's either a very fortunate or UNfortunate call ha) has a good point. If the kid gets the bug lit under him due to listening like I did 25 years ago, he could get excited and look forward to getting tested. Then he'd already have a radio. But then again, the idea of a SW RX is good as well!

N8XD likes this.
  10. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tell him that you'll give him the mic when he gets his ticket.

N8XD likes this.