FT-891 PTT Line - Transverter

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KJ7LVZ, Jun 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ7LVZ

KJ7LVZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an FT-891 radio and purchased a 2m transverter from Transverters-Store.com quite a while back. I think the time has come to assemble this transverter kit so I have been reading through the very short instructions. I'm considering what to do about the PTT line.

The FT-891 has a TUN/LIN port on the back for using an amplifier (8 pin mini-DIN). Two of the pins are labeled TX INH and TX GND. The transverter needs its PTT line pulled low to activate, is anyone aware of what these two pins do while keying the transmitter? I don't have an 8-pin mini-DIN cable yet so I'm not sure I can probe those ports effectively to test.

[​IMG]

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To key something external that needs a pull-down to ground to activate it, you'd use the "TX GND" and "GND" pins, not "TX INH."

3. KJ7LVZ

Understood. So TX GND means that it pulls the pin low when the transceiver is in transmit? I will include the GND pin in the cable build even though the radio and transverter have a common ground. I'll probably use a shielded wire pair.

TX INH seemed to be a transceiver input rather than output but Yaesu has notoriously vague manuals.

Thank you for the response.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, absolutely.

5. N3QAM

N3QAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

did you set this up yet , If so , how is it working with the 891. Was there any offsets in the menu you had to do , are you using any sort of frequency counter to know where it is on the band?

Ive been toying with the idea with one of my spare 891's and a set recently popped up for sale locally

6. KJ7LVZ

I have not done anything with the transverter yet. Summer is a busy time for me so radio gets neglected a bit.

I did use the PTT line info to hook up a T/R switch that runs a panadapter. The transverter project is still on the list but hand become active. I'd like to hear what you do if you get after it. Do you have a transverter yet?

7. N3QAM

Not yet , but two popped up on the FS forums here, so I did some googling on how to set them up with an 891 and that’s how I tripped this thread up.

I know with some rigs , they have a transverter menu to offset the display but quick browse through the 891 I didn’t see that.

I have other things I would like to accomplish on the HF side yet before I dive into using transverter on V/U so it’s lower on my priority list.

8. KJ7LVZ

I just saw those two listed as well. I don't believe the 891 has any considerations for use with transverters so you will just have to do the math or use a frequency counter.

Those would be a nice set to buy since they are already setup in a case. You should snag them.

9. N3QAM

AND they are close as well. I hate temptations

KJ7LVZ likes this.