ad: elecraft

FT-891 operations: Mic gain vs ALC

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WL7PM, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am really LIKING the FT-891. Amazed by the compact full power HF package.
    Nice receiver, picks out signals invisible to the IC7200, simply amazing.
    Couple things I need help with, the furnished Yaesu manual is a little fuzzy on the ALC setting procedure.
    Is there a way to view the ALC metering while the MIC gain control ifeature is active on the multi-function knob ?
    I seem to have a choice of either MENU or METER display, can't figure out how to view output WHILE adjusting MIC gain. Anybody have a trick for that ?
    Next problem: Adjusting output power is possible after multiple presses of buttons through the menu... Is there a shortcut for power level adjustment, as one might use during QSO, or while adjusting the antenna tuner, or peaking an amplifier's tune and load controls ?
    If one could set a " Default " to the multifunction knob, as power output KNOB when not otherwise engaged, that would be a cool feature.
    I am one of those knob twisters, after establishing contact, and getting decent signal report, I am prone to backing the power down, often find that 20 watts, 10 watts, even as little as a single watt is sufficient to maintain reasonable contact. As well, if conditions require, I like the ability to turn up the drive on the fly, and will push the drive level until the plates have a nice dull red glow when necessary.
    So, the big question for any FT-891 experts: How to set the rig up for a default POWER OUT knob ?
    Thank you.
    WL7PM