FT-891: is it that bad?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB2WIK, May 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K2JEB

K2JEB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just FYI, there are 2 external audio jacks. The one on the back is mono only, there is another one up front on the side of the control head. that is stereo. check it out

KF5VGK likes this.
  2. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha Ha... But they do carry this... as I was a victim.
    ...DOUG
    KD4mOJ

3. AF5CC

AF5CC Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood had a few problem rigs in the past. Read up about the TS440 and the dots problem, and keypad bounce. The early TS570Ds drained the backup memory battery rather quickly, like in a couple of months. I think Kenwood fixed that issue pretty quickly. Overall, they probably have less reliability problems than do Icom and Kenwood. Remember, Icom stands for I Can Only Monitor since their transmitters seems to fail pretty easily!

4. W7ROX

W7ROX Ham Member QRZ Page

Toxoplasmosis is different than Bartonellosis. Toxo... is a parasite, Barto... is a bacteria. Toxo is gram positive, Barto is gram negative. :)

KD4MOJ likes this.
  5. OK2SHI

OK2SHI Ham Member QRZ Page

About a month ago I bought a new FT-891 especially for PSK operations. I have a big problems with SignaLink USB setup. COM setting failures, Cat problems, radio often does not respond and I have to make a full resets. A lot of bugs I thing. I hope the upgrade firmware will resolve this problem soon :-(( .
    Ivo, ok2shi

6. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

The price is very attractive until the end of August. What problems would I be experiencing if I used this radio with my ALS 600.

7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-891 is still out-performing my Icom 7300 on receive, at my noisy home location (overall audio quality is pretty flat, compared to the 7300, but not surprising, given it's an inexpensive/tiny mobile rig). There is another whole thread on this. The FT-891 actually has a 3k roofing filter, standard. I also like that I can low/high cut filter the signals, pretty much anywhere within the bandwidth. This cuts down even more noise (menu items 11-01 to 11-04)

20170729_115725.jpg

It actually pushes my amp better than the 7300, as well (the 7300 is really strict on the ALC, and audio peaks are non-existent, so my Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.2KFX amp, which needs up to 95w drive, isn't getting enough oomph from the 7300 to reach full power in SSB -- am reaching about 500w, usually). I can approach full drive at 85 to 90w, with the Yaesu, and peaks are easily up to the 750w limit -- I run the amp to peak at just below 700w, using my amp's internal limiter as a safety, no matter what radio I use. I don't plan on running the amp with the 891 (it's my portable rig), but it does work well with my amp. Friends did not notice any splattering around my signal. I worked a slew of stations into Europe with it, one night this past week, while amped.

Finally got it out on the mountain, today, and it was a pleasure to operate. Despite really poor conditions, and a SN of 0, I managed qso's with 2 VK's and Borneo island, in addition to closer stations in China and Japan.

Here I am, talking over 5,000 miles, as HL1ZIX/P with VK3SS. I was running 100w with a 10ah Lifepo4 battery, and a vertical dipole on a 12m spiderbeam pole.

FF to about :23. I play around a bit with the NR, later on in the QSO.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    KF5VGK likes this.
  8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

If I weren't broke, I might score a 891 to replace the WAR SURPLUS ICOM 706 in the SUPERFLEX.

9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, sounds like it works with an amp!

10. K8AI

K8AI Subscriber QRZ Page

I would be looking at, not only, a receiver that outperforms others, but spectral purity and low phase noise from the transmitter:

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/TXNoise.pdf

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Many new hams seem to be only attracted to the "all-bands-in-one-box" radios, that don't really perform that well on any band and are mostly a compromise in order to stuff "10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb sack".