FT-891 horrible audio

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KC2JMS, Jun 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KC2JMS

KC2JMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently purchased an FT-891 which is now my second HF rig and the first opportunity to listen to myself on the air. The 891 has a horrible echo chamber sound to it. I hear other rigs on the air that sound just like it and find them very hard to understand. I've read the manual adjusted the equalizer settings, tried turning off the mic equalizer and speech processor and nothing seems to help. How do I get natural sounding speech with this thing

2. W6TAB

W6TAB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KE0EYJ likes this.
  3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How did you listen to yourself?

4. KC2JMS

Ran my FT891 into a dummy load with power as low as possible and listened on my base rig

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps the "problem" is in your receiver.

6. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never had any success with that. It never sounds right and you have to be dead-on with the VFO. Plus, there's the issue of bone conduction hearing, which will color the sound regardless, and which is completely unavoidable.

Are you listening on your 891 with the DSP noise reduction turned on? You indicate that other received stations exhibit this echo sound. I can't speak to the 891 specifically, but my FTDX 5000 will make received audio sound watery and echoy if the signal is weak and I turn it way up. It's very effective at digging weak signals out of the fuzz, but it is also a communications tool first, and I find it unpleasant to listen to for any length of time.

7. KC2JMS

I don't know if the DNR was on or off. I guess I should rephrase what I said about hearing other stations. Occasionally I hear stations that have a lot of "processing" in their signal and I find it annoying. While I'm clarifying what I'm hearing echo isn't really the right term either, and I'm not quite sure how to. Maybe more like Michael Buffer at a boxing match "Lets get ready to rumble" if you know what I mean

8. KC2JMS

Just an update. Getting off the dummy load made a huge difference and then set up as per W6TAB's link and it sound acceptable.
    Thanks for everyone's help