ad: elecraft

FT-891 & Flrig

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0WSJ, Jan 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. G0WSJ

G0WSJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never been big on CAT control, but thought I would have a play with Flrig and see if I'm going to use it before spending money on a decent piece of logging & CAT software.

Now, I've had the 891 for a few months and have had a great deal of success on FT8 using JTDX and the SCU-17. But for the life of me I just cannot get Flrig to work. The closest I have got is for the radio to go into TX, and I've had to switch it off to stop it.

I must be missing something fairly obvious, but if radio & SCU-17 are working with JTDX (changing bands, keying up) what am I doing wrong with Flrig?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

These settings worked for me the last time I set up a similar Yaesu for fldigi:

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 12.53.18 PM.png

(flrig transceiver settings pane should appear identical to this)

If there isn't something helpful in that image, maybe post a picture of your (working) JTDX settings and we can try to translate?

3. G0WSJ

These are my settings for the radio & SCU17 within JTDX

settings.jpg

I guess CAT control should be on port 6. Do I need the SCU in place as well ? I don't want the radio to PTT, it's just CAT control I'm after. (and logging at a later date)

4. KC3PBI

okay you've got dual port control going there in JTDX and flrig thinks it's single.

An attempt at translating:

fldigi xcvr pane:

rig ft891
    port com6
    baud 4800
    select 2 stop bits, deselect rts/cts

switch to ptt pane:
    uncheck everything in cw mode and cat port ptt options
    in the bottom ptt control on separate serial port: select com4 and check ptt via rts

Hope that helps, good luck!

5. G0WSJ

I'm confused why I should be using Fldigi, when I only want to use CAT?

6. KC3PBI

typo/caffeine deficiency. I typed fldigi when I should've done flrig; apologies.

7. G0WSJ

:D I know that feeling. That will be tomorrows project, the FT8 is good on 30M this evening in SW England :)