ad: ProAudio-1

FT-891 and WJST connection issues

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by W3MSR, Mar 27, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W3MSR

W3MSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Need a little help and guidance, please.

Radio is a FT-891. Connection is cable from data port on rear of radio to USB. (I know the cable is good because it connects and works well on a Windows 10 machine).

The computer I would prefer to use is a MacBook Pro, OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra). I have installed the SiLab UART driver. WJST installed successfully (with modification to memory).

When I open Preferences in WJST I can choose the FT-891 in the rig drop down list. I can select the driver in the serial Port window. There are actually two choices, /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART and /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART. I have tried both. Regardless of settings on the radio and in WJST, when I press Test CAT, I get an error message.

Hamlib error: Communication timed out while getting current frequency

I would be most appreciative if someone could give me a list of radio settings and WJST settings that works. (And hopefully it is just a settings issue!)

Stay safe from Covid.
    Mark
    W3MSR

2. KI7ZRF

KI7ZRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Had that pop up on my 7300 yesterday. It turned out to be my baud rate was mismatched. Make sure they match in wsjtx and your radio settings.

3. W3MSR

thanks for the reply
    I have tried both 9600 and 4800, making sure the radio and the program were the same.
    same problem.
    thanks
    mark

4. KI7ZRF

KI7ZRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think my settings are at 115200.

5. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I use different radios but the /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART or SLAB_USBtoUART is common to all my rigs and OS X programs. I always set the port speed to the highest that the radio can support.

Does the USB cable directly go from your computer to the radio, or through a USB hub?

I would suggest increasing the "CAT TOT" to (at least) 1000ms. The entirety of Mac OS X, Hamlib and your radio may not be able to support 10ms turn-around time.

You might also try setting "CAT RTS" to DISABLE.

WSJT-X acts like the sky is falling if the radio is somehow in "split" mode and the Hamlib messages are often not helpful.

Do you have any other Mac program that will communicate with the '891?

6. W3MSR

The USB cable goes "directly" to the Mac. It uses an adapter to convert to USB-C. (the adapter is from Apple).
    I did have CAT TOT set at 1000. I tried setting it to 3000. The only difference was the program took longer to tell me I failed.
    Set CAT RTS to disable, no difference.
    The radio is not in split mode.

I have no other Mac programs on this laptop. I looked at FLRig, but the documentation does not list the FT-891 as an available radio. That didn't stop me from trying but it wouldn't connect. Not too surprising.

I appreciate the thoughts.

Mark

7. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

flrig does support the FT-891, at least as of version 1.3.48 (previous version). FYI: I downloaded the latest flrig last evening (1.3.49) but was unable to get it to run on High Sierra.

I don't know if this is applicable but my older MacBookPro has two standard USB ports. I can use WSJT with only one of those ports - the other port simply won't work with the radio, though it works for printing and iPhone synch'ing. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me ...

8. KC6ARY

KC6ARY Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got both WSJT-X and flrig working on my 2k9 MacBook pro with Big Sur.
    WSJTX was easier, flrig required me to set RTS/CTS on. I've got the radio at 9600.
    Installed the latest versions of all programs and the SiLabs driver (I hear make sure your USB is disconnected for the driver when you install, do the reboot and the security allowances in control panel). Configurations attached.

Attached Files: