FT-857d

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KI4KSY, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI4KSY

KI4KSY Ham Member QRZ Page

So a “cb’er” did that? I did not think they had people like that working at yaesu. I will have to call them and tell them you said they screwed the transceiver up do to them being a bunch of “cb’ers”

Yaesu said a bunch of components kept changing value as the temp of the radio changed causing erratic operation. He said a few components were no good in the radio and that led to stress on other components.

2. KU5Q

KU5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Every piece of gear I've had, and every piece of gear I have now I get the service manual for it. Some can be found for free online. One of the first things I do is run through the alignments and make sure everything is up to spec especially if the gear is used. I have test equipment here and at work, so why not? I wait on the new gear until it runs out of warranty to do the same thing.

I always fix my own gear unless its under warranty, and especially if it is worth more than $1,000.

Many things are possible, but it sounds to me like the tech(s) at Yaesu (if that's really where you sent it) did not know what they were doing, and it was just easier (and maybe cheaper) to just replace the 857.

3. KI4KSY

KI4KSY Ham Member QRZ Page

at Yaesu (if that's really where you sent it) did not know what they were doing, and it was just easier (and maybe cheaper) to just replace the 857.[/QUOTE]

call and ask if i sent the radio in.

My name is Tim Machardy
    Yaesu's # is 714 827 7600
    1st work # 30331850
    2nd # 30333213
    3rd # 30334383
    SN# 8L970713

Tell them my name tell them i told to call and ask them to read you every note they took on the radio. It almost as if no one thinks one radio could be a dud.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  4. KU5Q

KU5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You've never done any major electronics service, or design work have you?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  5. KC2LNB

KC2LNB Ham Member QRZ Page

what type power supply you useing what is hooked to it

6. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

I just worked the west coast from Colorado transmitting with 2 watts. on CW.

Go figure. :)

But I was using $20 of copper wire. :)

7. KC2LNB

KC2LNB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 857-d and it was hooked up to my ps and a few other things and it read low power as I tx .I than unhook everything but the 857-d and it worked fine no low power or droping of power .when tx.......

8. K4FX

K4FX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had a FT-857D for a few years now, and 50 on the mic gain is WAY too high, I run my mic gain at 15,(with the stock handmike) I see about 20 watt peaks on the average reading wattmeter and I see 100w on the peak reading meter. The 857 is my backup rig, my main rig is a 756 Pro II and I see about the same power levels out of it with a Heil Goldline mic. (both are 100w rigs) Voice peaks on average reading wattmeters in the SSB mode are about the most meaningless thing in ham radio.

I would suggest getting on 10 meters at night with someone close by who knows your voice, ignore the meters and make some adjustments on that mic gain and I bet you will sound a lot better to the person listening with it a lot lower than 50.... the extra power you are making is NOT going where you want it to!

K4FX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.