FT-857D VS FT-897D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KI6HNB, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I used the 7000 / AH4 from aboard merchant ships. Used a 25/32 foot whips at different times and had great results on all MF/HF bands. Never a problem. I preferred the SGC couplers but could find no fault with the AH4. The SGC just seemed a bit more robust.

You should enjoy the combonation. On my 7000's I found that I had to but an extra fan on the heat syncs because i get a little long winded in my rag chewing. A little fan is cheap insurance.

Lee
    NI7I

2. AD7VH

AD7VH Guest

857 vs 897

You really cannot go wrong with either radio. It really depends on what you want. They are indeed pretty much same radio, which has be said by many. If you want a radio it fit in your Jeep, I would go with the 857. However, if you want a radio that can be used portable and used for emergencies, I would go with the 897. Overall, the 857 fits your situation, but it is still up to you and what you are looking for now or down the road.

I cannot say enough that is good about the 857, which happens to be my mobile rig. My 857 had the normal problem with the ALC that so many of them have had, but it was an easy fix in the service menu. The receiver on the 857 is not very far behind my Kenwood TS-2000. The Kenwood is better for CW, but as far as SSB goes, the 857 is nipping at the TS-2000's heals, so to speak; with some aftermarket filters, however. It may take buying a filter to make these little radios shine, but the cost is still fairly cheap even with having to do that.

With the 857/897, I like the fact that you are not stuck using DSP all the time. With my TS-2000, it is always on. The ts-2000 has a pretty good DSP, but I would still like to have the option of using analog filters if I wanted; Yaesu was smart enough to incorporate this into the 857/897, which was a good move, in my opinion.

73, John, AD7VH, east central Nevada

3. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

You're talking top-shelf stuff there with the biggest baddest auto razamatazz bugcatcher you can find.

Or...you can cheap out with a lip mount and a hamstick. Total of about 60 bucks & it'll work wonderfully!

Just balancing things out. :)

And , re: battery operation, 97 vs 57...

If you've got an '857, an 18 AH gel cell and a charger will do ya just fine and cost less than the battery setup in an '897 will cost you. The down side is 18 AH gel cells are HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY!!!!!! Not very suited to backpacking up a mountain!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.