FT-857D VS FT-897D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KI6HNB, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Buy an autotuner instead. LDG makes good ones for not much more than the MFJ. The Z-11 Pro, AT-100 Pro are both good choices, there's also a specific tuner for the Icom 7000 but I understand it's not as versatile a match - no matter, the LDG website has a great table to show you all the features.

2. KK6GUN

KK6GUN Ham Member QRZ Page

bigger dual fans is worth it to me? i dont think they can fit my two fans out of the 897 into the very nice slim 857. theres 1 spec thats diff on output too.

3. KJ4AAD

KJ4AAD Ham Member QRZ Page

The tarheel screwdrive antenna works great with this radio just be sure to get a heavy duty mount for it

4. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you like to bet? I run contests with mine @ 100W. Your statement is so erroneous it borders on stupid.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  5. KA9MOT

I run my FT-857D with two 50aH SLA Batteries at 100W for hours (7 the last time we tested).
    The batteries are from a wheelchair and were free. $5 Gell cell charger (EBay). A couple of relays to switch between power supply and batteries when the power goes down. And I run my whole station from these batteries.

HF: Ft-857D
    VHF/UHF and APRS: Kenwood TM-D700A
    LED Shack lighting.

When the power does go down, the transition is seamless. House goes black radios don't even flicker. The only pain is that I don't power my desktop computer off of this and have to go find the laptop in the dark.

On field day, I pack the whole thing up and cart it off to the site.

And, I get the removable control head!

6. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

HNB,
    The AH-4 is a very good tuner, get as much wire in the air as possible but avoid 1/2 wavelengths as the impedance is hard to match. I would put out radials or a counterpoise depending upon how the tuner is mounted with respect to the ground.
    Rob WA9UAA

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

100W SSB = fully duty cycle, no issues. Should be able to run SSB 24/7.

RTTY = uh oh.

Try a RTTY contest at 100W and do a lot of CQing. PA transistors will unsolder themselves. I've repaired three of these already for that issue.

Then, the FT-897D can't really handle that, either.:p

8. KA9MOT

Oh Yeah! I havent experimented with RTTY yet. Maybe some day, and then I'll run at 25W.

SSTV also. Same deal. I have played with SSTV quite a bit. Actually made one contact. Lost interest after that.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

SSTV takes patience for sure. I'm not too into that, either (mostly for the time it consumes).

RTTY, on the other hand, is kind of fun and keyboard to keyboard like IM'ing. Only problem is it generates a full carrier 100% of the time. Yes, it would be wise to crank it down to 25-40W anyway and not try 100W for that.

Ditto long-winded transmissions on VHF-FM.

The only rigs that can handle heavy duty RTTY operations are "larger" ones with bigger heatsinks. I don't know of any mobile rigs that can do it, no matter who made them.

10. NI7I

NI7I Guest

From my point of view, any 12v rig will do in an emergency and can be operated at full power using a car battery. why spend the money on an 897 and batteries/charger? doesnt make sense. The only reason I would prefer the 897 is that it is larger and my fingers would be less likely to mash two buttons when I should have mashed but one. I have used the 857 and the Icom 7000. having spent the bux on both rigs, truth be told, I dont think the 7000 is worth the extra money. I would go with the 857.

NI7I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.