ad: OM7AScp-1

FT-857D reduced Rx range after MARS mod

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by HB9DNA, Sep 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. HB9DNA

HB9DNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello. I just performed my MARS mod on my 10y+ old European FT-857d and now the RX range is limited to 144-146MHz and similar for other bands.... Help, did I mess it up? Thanks

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You may have gotten the wrong info?

3. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Most likely, yes. Fortunately, you did not brick the radio, so it can be fixed. Educated guess you have a jumper wiring error or had incorrect configuration information. Double-check your work and information.

4. N2ZD

N2ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

You messed up the diode configuration. The cpu is preset with the worlds band plans and the radios are set by diodes to operate on specific frequencies by region. if you remove or add the wrong diodes, the radio may reset to the wrong zone.

Regards Richy N2ZD

WA9SVD likes this.
  5. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

did you do a full reset after the mod

6. WA9SVD

To expand, different "versions" of the radio can have different diode configurations, (and thus, different diode/jumper locations or designations.) Did you (try to) use the proper mod for YOUR version of the transceiver? (And of course, do a FULL reset?)

N2ZD and N8YX like this.
  7. N2ZD

N2ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe he set his to the Japan frequencies. As I recall, Japan has a very limited 2m band. Also other countries may have a different “mod” than we do here in the states for that particular radio. Just throwing it out there..

8. WA9SVD

Japan or Europe? Most (if not all) of Europe (including the U.K.) have only 144-146 MHz. as an amateur allocation. (His description as the "European" version of the radio seems like a tip-off.)

N2ZD likes this.