FT 857

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by 2E0FMI, Jun 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. 2E0FMI

2E0FMI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi .I have a problem with my ft857. It's regarding the rf power in the menu. HF shows 100w 2mtr 50w 70cms 20w.I just can't get the power to go lower in any of the menu' s. It won't alter at all plus the radio is only putting 5watts max on hf. So I reset the radio which didn't help matter' s Am not sure if the finals have given up but yet I can tx on 5watts. Anyone had or heard of this problem the power meter on the radio shows 13.8v.the psu when txing shows only 3 to 5 amp'
    Regards.

2. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I repair 857s. I'm confused by "I just can't get the power to go lower in any of the menus". Then you mention the radio will not transmit more than 5 watts. If the radio is only putting out 5 watts why are you wanting to turn down the power?

Maybe if we break this into two problems. Changing the power level is going into the menu, selecting the power level function and turning the VFO tuning knob to the power level you wish. Are you saying that setting will not change?

On the other hand, if you have a broken radio changing this setting will have no effect. Is the power around 5 watts on HF, VHF and UHF?

3. 2E0FMI

Yes the RF power setting will not change on any band HF vhf or uhf in the menu. I did a factory reset there's no change. The rf power is around 5 watts max. I have ruled out the psu and connected the radio to a 12v battery.. The radio is getting 13.8v
    Thx for coming back to my post.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  4. WD8BWW

Is the receive working ok? I would like to have you try a couple of things in the service menu. It would be better to discuss these via email on PM. My email is andyit28@gmail.com

5. 2E0FMI

Hi Andy. One of the lads has just helped me with the ft 857. got the radio back to life again, now need to program the freq back into the radio in the hidden menu, a job for tomorrow, but thx again, 73`s.

6. WD8BWW

all is well that ends well!

7. W8CFI

W8CFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I see you indicated you repair 857's do you work on ones that are sent to you. If so I might have one that need to be looked at. George W8CFI

8. WD8BWW

Yes I'm a repair center. I work on most brands but specialize on late model Yaesu products.