ad: Preppcomm-1

FT-817 add 10 MHz ref GPSDO?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K3RW, Oct 22, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking to add to my tranaverter collection soon and the FT-817 I have is bone-stock. Non-ND, and still had the original wrap on it. Got a good deal on it.

As I venture to 10 GHz and beyond I want at least a reasonable chance of being on frequency. And I'm looking at aircraft scatter and digimodes that really need it.

The 817 has a TCXO-9 add-on to supposedly get it to 0 5ppm. If I went to a GPSDO I could get that into parts per billion. But thats not plug and play.

An Australian company made such a board, called the XREF. But they no longer produce it.

Curious if I am overlooking others.

And second to that, I am assuming using that GPSDO means theres no need to upgrade to the TCXO... unless I can't get a GPS lock?

I will, of course, lock the transverter. But I would like to lock the rig as well.

2. KF7GD

KF7GD Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever get an answer? I have a stock ic706 looking to get into some of the same stuff.... considering a new radio. I just read the austrailian board did not work well

3. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Basicly, the higher the frequency the more frequency multiplication done, the more stabiliy suffers both ways.
    Heat, multiple crystal aging, vibration, voltage vairiations etc all have an effect.
    Then is the other station stable or drifting?
    All these should be as tight as possible.

4. WB6TIX

WB6TIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking.....

Wouldn't it be more worthwhile to get the transverter local oscillator stable and on a known frequency?