ad: Schulman-1

FT-8100 2M Tx Problems

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC7KWI, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
  1. KC7KWI

KC7KWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone have a fix to the problem with the 2M side acting like it is transmitting, but there is no carrier wave being sent?

I have had this problem for the last few months. One time it will transmit just fine, then the next time I transmit NOTHING! On the 70cm side this does not seem to be a problem.

2. W0AAV

W0AAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Possibly you have bad finals?

3. W4FEH

W4FEH Ham Member QRZ Page

The final is the last resort... More than $80.00 @ RF parts.com.  Yaesu has a design problem with the 2M board on that radio. I have owned two and still have one.  Go to http://www.mods.dk/ and look up and do the sugested mods before spending the $$$.  In most cases the board is the problem and can be repaired with the right soldering iron, a piece of wire and a steady hand.  In my case the radio is old and the mods have been in place for a while but recently the 2M has started to drop out.  The transmit quits although the display say's I'm transmitting and when I unkey the recieve drops for a second.  I'm thinking about replacing the rig in the mobile with an Icom 2720 and when I'm bored atempting the expensive repair and use the Yaesu in the shack. These rigs have more than their share of problems but this is the most common.  
    Good luck // 73

4. KC7KWI

KC7KWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the input on this problem and the possible causes. W1FEH, are the Vias the posts that go all the way through the chassie to the 70 cm side, or just the holes that go to the other side of the 2M board?

5. N7MK

N7MK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you certain there is no carrier being emitted? Verified with a wattmeter?  The reason I ask is, if you are trying to key a repeater that requires CTCSS for access, this radio is very susceptible to alternator noise.  And when it occurs, it will 'interfere' with the CTCSS operation, and you won't be able to bring up the repeater.

m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.