FT-8 TX Freq Hold

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KG4USK, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will respectfully agree and disagree. For ordinary calls it is not a bad practice and is quite common. For DX it depends on who they are and how many are calling them. Usually I will move off frequency for any relatively rare DX or if a lot of people are calling someone, and for sure for DXpeditions.

I would estimate 95% of the people who respond to my CQ do so on frequency, and vice versa. Of course I only have 5,000+ FT8 contacts in the log. The concept of always or mostly calling off frequency is nice, and certainly made sense before FT8 became so popular. It seems to me that these days the FT8 segments are almost always crowded, except maybe 10-12 meters.

Of course crowded is relative. I have very good antennas for every band and I routinely work stations that others cannot hear, so I tend to see a lot of activity that perhaps others do not.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

According to one of the developers on the WSJTx group, you get a slight advantage by calling on frequency. The frequency under his receive marker is decoded first, before the rest of the waterfall. If he's got "call 1st" checked then he will automatically respond to the station on that frequency. It also appears to me that I get a little bit of extra sensitivity on the frequency under the receive marker. That can also give you a little advantage when working very weak signals on 6M or 2M.

N4UP likes this.
  3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that is interesting on both points. I have often wondered about FT8 signal sensitivity within the audio pass-band.

I have also wondered about signal reports that emerge after a lot of people are calling on the target frequency, seems like they are unusually high, almost as if the report I receive is the sum of all the signals of stations who called the other station on frequency in the previous cycle. But maybe I am just imagining things.

4. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

The thing to remember about FT8 signal reports is that they are signal to noise ratio at the receiver. You can get a good number because you are putting in a big signal or because he has a low noise level. When I was running 75W on 6M I usually gave out a report 6dB stronger than what I received because usually my S meter is reading zero on noise. Now that I've increased power to 300W, the received and sent reports are usually about the same.