FT-8 TX Freq Hold

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KG4USK, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG4USK

KG4USK Ham Member QRZ Page

So is it common courtesy to stay on the same TX freq while calling stations? I usually try to hold on the same TX frequency but have often seen others making contacts on the same freq as the calling station and have had more luck myself moving to their TX freq. I'm still pretty new to FT-8, and I don't want to be "that guy" who's always jumping in the way.

Thanks es 73,
    Luther
    KG4USK

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

If you picked a vacant spot, or so you thought to the best of your knowledge, there is nothing wrong with staying there for the duration. Let your RX cursor do the 'walking'.

We are talking about FT8 split. It's very common these days, even for 'garden variety' contacts.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Free free to move around. Finding a clear spot to park and hunt from like a deer stand usually won't last long anyway before somebody runs over you. Often a guy you just worked who doesn't move away after finishing the contact.

4. KG4USK

Yeah I usually do find a "clear" spot to sit and call, but I guess what I'm wondering is... is it bad practice to call on their TX frequency?

5. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes and no. Most of the time calling on the other's TX frequency works just fine and is not a bad practice. But if a lot of people are calling him/her then moving to a nearby clear spot usually works better. And there are some people who will not respond if you call them on their frequency ( maybe they think they are "important" ). If the band is already crowded, then you may have no alternative to calling on the other station's TX frequency ( otherwise you would be stepping on someone ). Also might keep in mind that what appears to be a clear spot to you may not be clear to whoever you are calling, especially at longer distances. I usually look at the history of a frequency over several cycles before venturing forth.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

If he is all alone, no problem. If he is a sought after station, your chances of getting a contact increase substantially if you call elsewhere.

KP4SX and ND6M like this.
  7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are mostly the people that never bothered to read any instructions, and think in terms of legacy voice/CW operations.
    They don't realize that the software actually "listens' to a frequency area about 2 Kc (or more) wide.

Unless your signal is REALLY strong, you won't affect their Rx at all.
    Bearing that in mind, I also look for an empty spot , just to avoid any "issues".

I usually park on about a 1700 delta. unless I am on 60 meters, then I change it to be on "center slot".

8. KG4USK

Gotcha. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I'm just learning as I go with this, so just making sure I'm not messing it up for everyone else!

Thanks for the input!

K2CQW likes this.
  9. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

Another consideration, especially if the band is crowded, is that when you answer him on a different frequency then your QSO uses up two frequencies instead of just one. In addition, when one of you is transmitting then the other frequency is unused and someone else may jump on it thinking it is vacant. Unless it's a big DX station with potentially a lot of callers I usually try answering on his frequency first. If I don't get a response then I move to a close by frequency for a second try. The bottom line is that either way is okay, just try what makes sense for the given conditions. If it doesn't work then try again on another frequency.

10. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll respectfully disagree. :)

I think it's a bad practice - unless the waterfall is wall-to-wall signals and there really is no clear parking spot. I've frequently watched DX & DXpeditions ignore stations calling on their transmit frequency. I'll call from elsewhere with my little 50 watts and measly dipole and they reply.

Excellent read for anyone using WSJT-X: https://www.g4ifb.com/FT8_Hinson_tips_for_HF_DXers.pdf

KT5WB and K2CQW like this.