ad: M2Ant-1

FT-8 only 1 watt of power transmit

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KW4TI, Jun 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KW4TI

KW4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently upgraded to WSJT-X 2.2.1 and I have an annoying problem. I have a very hard time getting WSJT-X to output enough audio level for decent power output above 1 W. The power slider on WSJT-X is at maximum. FT-8 receives and decodes just fine.

My rig is ICOM-7300 and OS is Win7. Settings in ICOM 7300

Power configured for 50%
    ACC/USB output select AF
    ACC/USB AF output level 50%
    ACC/USB AF SQL OFF
    ACC/USB AF Beep/Speech OFF
    ACC/USB IF Output Level 50%
    ACC/MOD Level 50%
    USB/MOD Level 40%
    DATA OFF MOD MIC,ACC
    DATA MOD USB

The USB audio speaker level is configured at 11% which seems to be a good level for input to WSJT-X. USB audio microphone level is 100% max. If it is not 100% max, I can not even get 1 watt of power.

I have tested the same setup with Fl-digi/Fl-rig under Windows and I have no problems outputting at the set power level (for example 10 to 50 W). When I show the scope on the ICOM 7300, the signal input from Fl-digi clearly uses most of the dynamic range of the signal being output from the microphone device but without significant ALC. For the output from WSJT-X, it shows only about 20% of the dynamic range being used. So for some reason WSJT-X only outputs a signal that is -14 dB down from what FL-digi does.

I have been battling this problem for two days and have been googling for answers with no luck. Anyone know how to get WSJT-X to output a full 16-bit output signal. ICOM 7300 and FT-8 is a very common configuration. Also, I can get this combination to work under Ubuntu 18.04 but not under Windows 7. Unfortunately N1MM+ doesn't work too well under Ubuntu and so I must use Windows currently.

Dan
    KW4TI

2. KW4TI

Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  3. KW4TI

Well, the ICOM 7300 seems for some reason to simultaneously be taking input from the USB audio and the microphone, until I switched by to USB-D mode.

4. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's why radios have the Digital mode - it is to be used.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What matters is speaker level. Make sure you have set the level in connectors (in the rig's menus) as well as in your PC. Too low in the rig, and you won't get enough audio. Make sure the slide in WSJT-X is far enough up, too. Double check the rig is set to USB-D.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Presuming you're using Winders, is your master speaker slider up near max?

7. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Also, run the rig at 100W, full output, just control the actual power out with the audio drive level. Set the tune level on the software to max and use the OS sound device level control to set to whatever you want your max possible output level to be, maybe 40W or so, then use the software from that point to trim it down.

WA9UAA and WD4ELG like this.