FT-7900 // FT-8800 -- narrowband entry

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB0KZR, Feb 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB0KZR

KB0KZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I have an FT-8800, and also an FT-7900, having the same issue on both. Some of the splinters (ie, frequency with 4 digits after the decimal) aren't accepted, it rounds them. Others work fine. I can enter frequency 146.6125. I can NOT enter 146.6025. Same on UHF, 447.6625 works, 447.6750 works, but 447.6025 does not work.

It seems like the 12.5khz step must also be an even multiple of 25 khz or something? Anybody know any way around this? The programming software is happy to do it, but the radio is refusing.

Thanks in advance, 73 de

-Matt KB0KZR

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you set step to 5 ?

Normally there is no need for exact precision on FM.

3. KB0KZR

Step is set to 5. Maybe not normally a problem, but it isn't working. I can hit a particular repeater using an FT-7800 (which seems happy to take 146.6025), as well as with a commercial HT. It's not working with the FT-7900 or FT-8800.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

About the only reason to enter such a frequency would be to use the radio on GMRS, FRS or some other service they are not certified for use on.

Rounding off works just fine for receiving. Round up then round down, To see what works best.

Have Fun.

5. KB0KZR

Intended usage is beside the point. There are narrow-band ham repeaters. Could also be MARS, potentially. I have tried rounding up or down one step, the repeater receiver is not hearing me, even though I can hear it just fine. It works on the older FT-7800.

6. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

MARS most recent published frequency list does not show anything other than HF. I also cannot find any amateur radio repeaters in the database that have 4 digits after the megahertz digits. However, I can see you wanting to program out that far for purposes of receiving (not transmitting) on certain public safety (such as SAR) frequencies