ad: KF7PMW-1

FT 7800 control head issues

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KD6JA, Dec 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD6JA

KD6JA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two FT 7800 radios, one in the car and one home. The one in the car began developing problems with the backlighting on the microphone. Direct memory access via the push buttons on the microphone also quit working. Access to the a or b vfo quit working. Item substitution between the two radios zeroed in on one control head. The radios themselves and the microphones work fine. The cables on both microphones were previously replaced with stock Yaesu cables. Any ideas? Looking inside the control head reveals no obvious visible damage.

73's

Skip KD6JA

2. KN5G

KN5G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Charles,
    Just wondering if you had found a solution for your FT-7800’s control head issue? I have the same problem here. I have been running two 7800’s in two different vehicles for several years now, and finally one of them developed this dead-head issue. In my case the mic’s led’s won’t light up and the radio will not key up when the mic’s PTT switch is pressed. I suspected the 9V Dc power from the main radio wasn’t making it to the mic but I have not taken the time to trouble shoot inside the control head yet.
    Just saw your post and thought I would check to see if you had had any luck with locating a solution.

KN5G
    Keith