FT-70DR adapting other speaker mic

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N6AFV, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:22 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6AFV

N6AFV Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently won a Yaesu FT-70DR in a raffle, and I am liking it quite a bit. One thing I'd like to be able to do is use my existing handheld audio accessories, but the FT-70 has the single-jack (TRRS) type connection, instead of the dual plugs used by other manufacturers. They make a CT-44 adapter that looks like it might fit the speakermic and stealth earpiece/mic accessories I bought for my Baofeng, but can anyone tell me if, in fact these would fit the CT-44, and are the connections compatible?

2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Short answer, no, they don't interconnect. Take a look at the spacing of the pins of the Baofeng Mic plug vs. the Yaesu CT-44 jack:

CT-44 vs. Baofeng Mic Plug.jpg

There may be another, 3rd party connection that joins them, but the CT-44 won't be the answer.

Congrats on winning the FT-70DR! I've read some reviews, and watched a few videos (mostly from Europe and Far East) about operation, and it looks like a great ht!

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 6:48 AM
  3. N6AFV

N6AFV Subscriber QRZ Page

David,
    Thanks for that! I think I'll just get the genuine Yaesu part and not worry about it. The radio has a lot of nice features in a compact package, and I'm starting to understand why so many are not fans of the Baofeng and similar inexpensive radios. I have a couple of them, and they work OK, but the Yaesu just "feels" better, and has many more useful features. The only thing I have noticed is what others have mentioned in some reviews, and that is that the battery life doesn't seem to be as good as expected.
    Dave, N6AFV

N2PQW likes this.