FT-60 Speaker/Mic Extension Cord--Success

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N7BKV, Nov 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. AD7I

AD7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I did two things to improve the connection between the speakermic plug and the jack on the FT-60.

One was to ensure that the plug that goes into the speakermic jack has a very skinny body, so that the plug shell doesn't get hung up on the too small hole in the housing body of the radio that surrounds the jack opening. Conventional 3.5mm TRRS jacks often get hung up on the body and can't be fully seated into the jack. And they didn't even get it right on the next product. For example, the specified Yaesu cloning cable for the FT-70 has a body shell that is too fat to fit into the FT-70 speaker/mic jack; it's not even close. Yes, that's an FT-70 problem rather than an FT-60 problem, but it's an example of a problem not being corrected on the next design cycle.

Second was to remove the black grommet from the FT-60 speakermic jack opening so that the plug can be fully seated all the way into the jack. If one looks carefully you will see that the grommet keeps the plug from being fully (and correctly) seated into the jack. There's no grommet on the adjacent power jack so why have one on the speakermic jack? Once I removed the grommet from all four (yes four!) of my FT-60 speakermic jacks and used short extension cables with skinny plugs, my speakmic problems all went away. Very reliable operation now.

There's a lot I love about the FT-60; it's my favorite HT of all time. But how this speakermic plug/jack problem was allowed to get through the internal design review process is hard to understand.

N7BKV likes this.
  2. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Great tip! I just did this and it seems to be successful with some cables that were previously troublesome. Grommet seemed to be held in with some sort of adhesive. I think it was an attempt to "weatherproof" the radio a bit. Which might then make sense that the power jack has no grommet with just the cover doing the job, since the wall wart house current PA48 power supply is not used when operating, but only in a stationary, presumably out of the weather, location for charging via the stand only.

That being said, the radio can operate via the power jack (despite the instructions in the manual). I operate with the Yaesu E-DC-5BA vehicle power supply all the time in that jack. This is a 2 Amp power supply. The PA 48 wall wart is only a half amp supply for charging and will not do the job for operating. It must be plugged into the back of the stand for charging only (US models).

Power draw per manual is 1.6 amp Tx at 5 watts output. E-DC-5BA does the job at 2 amps. That and the mic extension cable make it a great mini mobile rig. Post #7 in this thread shows the fabricated mini clip board method of securing the radio. There are a thousand variations on this. For a different vehicle I modified a sturdy plastic drink cup to clip the radio to and then set it in the cup holder. Effective. Economical.

Brian
    N7BKV