FT-450D CAT issue with HRD

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by K0GDI, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K0GDI

K0GDI QRZ Lifetime Member #165 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I am trying to control my radio using a cable I got off ebay that said it was for Yaesu radios. It is a usb to serial. Has anybody had experience with CAT and Yaesu radios that can help me?

2. K0SPN

K0SPN Ham Member QRZ Page

You might try giving a better description to the problem.

Some USB chips don't work very well either with HRD, or Win7, or something, I can't remember as I only use straight serial.

You could also try reading about others with USB adapter issues on the HRD forum. There are quite a few posts there on this topic.

3. AE5ZD

AE5ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I started using a USB to Serial cable, but continued to receive numerous Blue screens of death from it, in addition to locking up my radio requiring a full hard reset. It seems that those are going to be "iffy" at best, and my personal recommendation would be to purchase a PCI serial port card.

Either way, you need to make sure that the radio, serial port, and HRD are ALL set to the same settings.
    Radio:
    CAT RTS Enable
    CAT TOT 10
    CAT RATE (to whatever you choose, but MUST match the serial and HRD.) I'm using 38400 at the moment.

Serial Port:
    Bits per second (must match) 38400
    Data bits 8
    Parity None
    Stop bits 2
    Flow Control None

HRD:
    Yaesu
    FT-450
    Select the correct Com port
    Speed (must match) 38400
    and check RTS

This is all I had to do to get mine working.
    Beforehand, I had to search for the software drivers for my USB to serial adapter, and it was a pain. Then I had to buy a 9-pin Female to Female serial cable (do NOT use a null cable). Besides the blue screens, it worked, but the PCI card made it MUCH better.

NC0W likes this.
  4. K0GDI

K0GDI QRZ Lifetime Member #165 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have my settings like shown above and it will work, but HRD will not respond after about 5 minutes of use. Any suggestions?

5. K0SPN

Try using the Yaesu program and see if it still freezes.
    Maybe there is a computer setting that makes the USB sleep after X time. I'm trying to think of a setting that would affect this, but nothing is coming to mind.

6. W0SGM

W0SGM Ham Member QRZ Page

get a USB to serial with the FTDI chipset. I use an RT Sysytems RTS-03. Those cheap Prolific don't work well with HRD.HRD works the USB hard,and most people have problems with the Prolific chips.

7. WD0MYM

WD0MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll second the cable from RT Systems...I have two cables for two different rigs using Ham Radio Deluxe and Windows 7. Also works with the Yaesu rig control software for the FT-950.

Jon

8. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a lot of cheap USB to Serial adapters floating around on internet sales sites that use an old 'counterfeit' Prolific chipset. They only work with old drivers, if you get the new drivers you'll experience blue screens and lockups. Your better off with a FTDI chipset or buying an adapter from Staples or CDW. Not ebay or Amazon.

I use this one: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Cables-to-Go-USB-to-DB9-Serial-Adapter/297778.aspx

A
    lso for the FT-450 make sure you have the latest version of HRD. Be advised the S-meter doesn't work in HRD for the FT-450, everything else seems to work.

9. K0SPN

I wrote a nice post about the issues with HRD and the 450 quite a while ago, and though I haven't run down the list in a number of versions (since I last updated the thread I believe) I'm very confident that everything on the list is still a valid issue.
    Not that any of them are major issues, but there are a number of things that don't quite work as they should, or at least, could.

See the post at:
    http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showthread.php?8177-FT-450-Outstanding-Issues

10. VK4KGW

VK4KGW Ham Member QRZ Page

make sure the computer port is at a high speed like 38400 , download your own older copy of hrd and install that , I used a $10.00 cable and the software with it was virus infected , one that was sorted and all rebooted it worked , be sure which port you are actually using in usb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.