FT-450AT or FT-897D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KI6A, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W6DDX

W6DDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently own a Kenwood TS-850S that I use for contesting and DX'ing. However, I want 6 meter capability and also something that is more PC/digital mode friendly. The FT-450 seems to fit that perfectly. I just purchased my FT-450 on ebay so we'll see how it works out. I once had an Icom IC-756ProIII but sold it because I needed the cash. Now I am saving up for a better rig again and the FT-450 will probably become my secondary radio once I can afford another step up to say a K3. The FT-450 will also be more field day friendly than my TS-850.

2. N0JEF

N0JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

The 450s really sound good on AM.

3. W6DDX

W6DDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my FT-450AT and I must say that I am in love. Granted, it isn't as capable as the IC-756ProIII that I had, but, it works great and the dsp works for me. Once I get my W2IHY EQPlus connected then it will be an outstanding rig. I am considering an FT-950 now or possibly an FT-2000.

4. OH2GRA

OH2GRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe 897D could be a good choice.
    I bought mine for~3 years ago and so far absolutely no complaints.
    For about 700$ you don't get many rigs with:
    160m, 80m, 40m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m, 6m, 2m, 0,7m, air traffic, local FM radio etc.
    All HAM bands are multimode. And DSP included, of course.

Ps. I'd like to purchase K3 as well, but i'm not sure I live that long for the needed transaction.:eek:

5. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Mind you DSP of the 857 is audio DSP only. In the 450 the DSP is in the IF stage allowing for much more control over the received signals.

6. KA2ZEY

KA2ZEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am torn between these 2 rigs as well. I am an apartment dweller so a smaller rig is key. I also like to operate CW and plan on getting into digital modes. Someone posted earlier that the 897 with filters installed is a better CW rig than the 450?

7. WD5ABC

WD5ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never tried a 450 but putting the narrow filter in my 857 made it a pretty respectable CW rig. Don't count on the DSP doing it for you, since it's in the audio chain a strong signal nearby can cut the AGC back enough to wipe out the signal you're trying to hear. With the CW filter in the IF it works great. It's not quite as good of a receiver as my FT-990 but not bad at all for the price.

Kerry, WD5ABC

8. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, being in an apartment, you may also find VHF/UHF on the FT-897 useful to you since the antennas are managable and repeaters accessible for you.

A Samlex 30 amp switching supply, an LDG tuner [I like the Z-11Pro] and you are good to go.

I definately recommend the added filters, for SSB as well.

9. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a lot of it depends on what you are going to use the radio for. I work a lot of PSK and recently figured out that adjusting the LPF and the HPF on the 897 goes a long way in working a crowded band. I've looked at the 450's manual and cannot find where it has the same ability to narrow down the bandpass as the 897. I don't disagree that the IF DSP is better than AF DSP, but the 450's IF DSP seems limited compared to what other rigs' IF DSP can do, so I don't really know how much better it is than the 897's AF DSP. I also like the fact that the 897D has SSB on 2m and 70cm. So, like I said, it all really depends on what you want to do with the radio. My next purchase will most likely be an FT-950, which will blow both the 897 and 450 out of the water in terms of performance

10. NO2A

NO2A Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-897D

And don`t forget 60 meters and the Alaska emergency frequency! (that must be some kind of record for a radio having the most transmitting frequencies) Then of course that mars mod.....(just kidding):p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.