ad: w5yi

FT-450AT or FT-897D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KI6A, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was in the exact same boat and came to the conclusion that the Ft-450's features surpass those of the 897d. The ability of the 897d to do VHF was not a concern for me I don't need that. You may and that might be your showstopper. I did not get the built in tuner since the tuner wasn't as "capable" as I needed it to be. Yes the tuner does what it's supposed to do but it's limited in what it can do.

There was just recently last week a discussion on the FT-450 Yahoo group asking about a similar comparison.

The general consensus I've read with regard to the Ft-450 vs ?? is that the FT-450 is more capable and better priced. It's not a contest radio that's going to beat the big guns but it will hold it's own pretty well.

2. WB4TJH

WB4TJH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've owned my FT-450 for almost a year now, and I am very pleased with its performance overall. My Elecraft K2 has a much more selective receiver, but for general ham use, the FT-450 is a nice radio. As for Kenwood, I have owned at least a dozen of their HF radios over the years, but Kenwood is now history, since they have not brought out anything new in ten or more years. For the money, you can't beat the Yaesu FT-450. The only option I bought is an MD-100 desk mike. I drive an SB-201 amp with my radio, and it works well, using the MFJ interface between the radio and the amp.

3. K3ROJ

K3ROJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT450 Digital Modes

I let a fellow ham borrow a Rig Blaster Pro interface to get on PSK31. He has been attempting to get it to work for a few weeks, even when using the small DIN plug in the back. Is there some abnormal situation when using this rig?

4. M0PNN

M0PNN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

my brother has just bought an ft 450 and uses a md 100 mic and he loves the radio. If the radio is a few months old check the firmware version buy a cable read the manual and do the updates.

Cheers

Paul

m0pnn

5. KC8AHN

KC8AHN Ham Member QRZ Page

I just upgraded to General 5 days ago and bought an FT450. I did not buy the version with a tuner. In 3 days of having it on the air I have worked 11 states and 3 countries (four actually but it was PSK and my computer locked up so I could not complete the QSO) on a G5RV and never more than 30 watts. I have nothing to compare it to,but I went with it over the 857/897 because of fewer menus to need. The draw back is that ti does not have a removeable face if you ever intend to mount it in a car. For me that was an issue but one I will live with.

As for getting it on the digital modes, I use a Rigblaster Plug and Play and digipan and they work fine together out of the box, nothing special needed done.

6. W0SGM

W0SGM Ham Member QRZ Page

nope..either use the DigiVox or PTT to key the rig..I use the PTT by comport as the digi vox was too picky.mine works fine with DigiPan or HRD/DM780

7. MM0XXW

MM0XXW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely agree with your comments regarding the 450 v's 897 Don but not with those regarding it's built-in tuner.
    I've a 10 day old 450AT, purchased 04/10/10, running the latest software and with a slight adjustment in the menu my radio is quite happy with the 'doublet' I have attached to it on all bands from 80-6m so no issues there at all.
    I would like to reiterate that the "mod" to change the colour of the screen definately does not work in the newer models.

8. N6BCH

N6BCH Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone besides me wish that Yaesu could have found SOME way to put a larger tuning knob on the 450? I guess I like old school ergonomics, but it's making it hard for me to choose this otherwise superb radio.

I invite someone to convince me otherwise.

9. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

This was exactly what made me doubt whether or not the get the 450. In the end I bought it anyway. And while the knob is a bit small, I haven't had any trouble operating the radio. In my opinion the sum of all the features of the 450 outweigh the small knob. If this is also the case for you, that only you can decide.

10. N6BCH

N6BCH Ham Member QRZ Page

It really does seem to be a great choice for a first HF radio that won't leave you wishing for more features any time soon. Instead of outgrowing it, I'd bet a lot of people just relegate it to second-rig status at the very worst, in the event that they had upgraded to a contest rig or the like.

When I tried one at HRO, it wasn't that it was difficult to use the knob, it just wasn't as satisfying to me as larger-knobbed rigs. It would probably be in my best interests to "just get over it."

(I only mention it as a "first HF radio" because of the price point, and because that's what I'm personally in the market for. No argument with those who say it's competent enough for seasoned operators.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.