FT-450AT or FT-897D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KI6A, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KI6A

KI6A Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay... so I'm looking for my first HF rig (base station for my QTH - maybe some occasional field work). I'm pretty partial to Yaesu and like the features of the FT-897D and was looking pretty seriously at picking one up. An opportunity has just presented itself for me to pick up a used FT-450AT for a reasonable price.

I'm going to spend some time in the manuals to look at the specific features, but would like some opinions from you folks.

From a high-level, it would seem to me that the FT-450 probably does HF better than the 897 with more filtering/shaping, etc... The 897 seems more like a portable "do everything" rig that may not be as full featured as the 450. Does this seem like a fair assessment?

Does anyone with experience with one or both of these rigs have an opinion on which one they prefer?

Thanks and 73,

Mitch

2. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-450 is a more modern radio. The filtering options, as you say are superb when compared to the FT-897. The only reason for choosing the FT-897 would be the 2m/70cm range. But as you're looking for an HF rig, I'd say the 450 would be the obvious choice. I have the 450 myself and I haven't regretted it one second.

3. KI6A

KI6A Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah PH5E, good point... I've got a few 2m/70 cm radios, so I'm already covered there. Thanks!

4. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had both (still have a 450 and 857). The CW filters in the 8X7's (if installed) are better than the DSP 500 Hz CW BW in the 450 and for some data modes it is useful to be able to go narrower than 1.8 Khz (narrowest for SSB/data in the 450). But the 450 has a more crunchproof front end, which is sometimes important.

Cortland
    KA5S

5. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you mean by crunchproof exactly?

6. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

My 450 is more resistant to strong nearby signals than my 857.

Cortland
    KA5S

7. KI6A

KI6A Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up the 450 this morning. :D I'll let y'all know what I think after I've had some time to play...

8. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a good radio, especially at the price. OTOH I also have and use (sometimes at the same time as my 450) a 25-year old Ten-Tec Paragon.

Cortland
    KA5S

9. W5WAY

W5WAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks

After having read this thread I am taking another (hard) look at the FT-450AT vs. the FT-897D which, while apparently rugged and versatile, uses older technology.

Please do report back; let us know what you think about your new radio.

10. W5SYF

W5SYF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for this thread, I'm in the same boat a Yeasu fan and looking at an HF rig. Kenwood doesn't seem to have any direct competition for the 450 and in the same proce range. I like the idea of the tuner built in even though I know it will not tune a coat hanger. I plan on using a vertical unless I can figure out a place to put a 102' dipiole??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.