FT 450 How to Power Adjust to 1 watt?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NN2X, Apr 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI Fellow Ham Operators

I have the FT 450 Yaesu

I can adjust the RF output down to 5 watts, does anyone know how to bring down to 1 watt..(I have a solid state Amplifier)

NN2X Tom

2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't use the amplifier and use some form of attenuation.

3. NN2X

I don't have the attenuator! I had all that before, sold everything, just getting back into Ham radio

I am borrowing the FT 450, and using low power is what I wanted to do, the AMP is mine, so I can work this...So 5 Watts, get 350 Watts out, and that is not what I want, I would like to use about 50 Watts, or 100W,,,

No worries I did find a solve...Although very touchy, I use the signal link, TX Gain knob, and work it down to the 100 Watts...

Thank you all for helping

NN2X Tom

4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

A 50 ohm resistor will work wonders.

5. NN2X

I sure does! 50 Ohms

But the TX Knob on Signaling, is more granular, (Although touchy), So all good

NN2X / Tom

6. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Attenuators are super easy to build - use this calculator if needed. :)

Good luck !

Jim, WQ2H

7. NN2X

I found the solution, Before I give the answer, I have been away from the digital modes for a few years, and there is a really simple solution!

The WSJT-X has a power adjustment on the right hand side, this perfect, as it has the granularity I need..'

Thanks all for your input

NN2X / Tom

8. W1FBV

W1FBV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to run 50 or 100 watts, forget the amp and just set the 450's power level accordingly.

NN4RH likes this.
  9. NN2X

Of course I would...But this is not my HF Radio, (I borrowed it), I am using lower power, 5 watts in this case...Nothing worse than borrowing something and returning in broke! So using on 5 WATTs for digital is safe, and the AMP, is mine...So I can use as I please..

nn2x / Tom

10. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

The needed resistors for a homebrew attenuator would probably be about $10 including shipping from Digikey or Mouser.