FT-3D not receiving SMS messages from APRS

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7FPF, Sep 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ7FPF

KJ7FPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy,

This is my first time posting, I recently purchased a new Yaesu FT-3d for the APRS capability. I plan on using it for my motorcycle adventures that take me to remote places in the desert :) I am able to send SMS messages using APRS with SMSGTE. I can respond to the text on my phone but they do not appear on the message list. I have tried a simple reply back and also adding in the prefix with my callsign and the @ symbol.

Thank You and 73
    Ruben KJ7FPF

Also, if anyone is in the Tucson AZ area and is interested in ADV motorcycling let me know :)

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In your reply, you have to start with @YOURCALLSIGN-SSID . Is the IGATE you are using two way? Can you receive regular APRS messages?

3. K0RGR

This could be a red herring because it should work, but the FT3D is not on the list of 'tested' devices for SMSGTE.

4. KJ7FPF

I can receive regular APRS messages like weather stations and stuff. I tried it again this morning from my job figuring I would be using another igate but it still won’t work

5. K0RGR

I'll send you my cell # in a PM, and you can try sending me a message.

N2PQW likes this.
  6. K4VBX

K4VBX Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'downlink' from IS to RF is dependent on the presence of a bi-directional IGate in the area. Without knowing your SSID I can't see on the APRS map if any stations that have heard you are bi-directional. If you don't use an SSID suffix with your callsign, then it's possible the APRS server does not have a location for your station since you're not found by just a callsign lookup. Therefore the server does not know how to route the incoming message.

7. KJ7FPF

Good to know, I am on as KJ7FPF-7 . I setup another SSID on the APRS app on my phone and tried to send a message to my FT3D and no luck. Please help. K0RGR has been a great help, he has helped me double check my APRS settings. All looks good on the radio.

8. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

You might also try
    https://groups.io/g/SystemFusion

John Kruk, N9UPC, National Sales Manager, Amateur Division - Yaesu USA
    is on there and has answered many questions about Yaesu radios.
    Perhaps someone there knows about APRS, too.

I haven't played with APRS messaging, but should try it on my FT2D as well.

9. K4VBX

K4VBX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's tough to say, but it appears that the Igates around Tucson are all Rx-only. I'm going to send a message via IS to see if it is gated to RF for you to receive.