FT-301D needs a part

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KD8UYQ, Oct 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

You may have lost a few dBs receiver gain with your Toroid . . . but the receiver is very sensitive to start with, so I doubt if you will notice any problem. The advantage of this rig - compared to most later all-transistor rigs - is that it actually has RF Circuits tuned to the signal frequency, rather than being broadbanded. This obviously improves receiver performance.

When you say the meter deflects to the left on Transmit on 20 & 15m, do you mean it just doesn't move? (obviously it starts from the left)

From your symptoms, it sounds like the fault must be in the Transmitter Output Band-Pass Filters (or their switching).

In fact, be careful using it like that, because as you can see, the PAs are taking a LOT more current to get less power output . . . so you're likely to destroy the PA Transistors.

I would imagine you have one or more faulty capacitors in the band-pass filters on 20/15m.

Roger G3YRO

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

RF Filter Design, Band Pass Filters

3. KD8UYQ

KD8UYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Roger,
    Sorry, I misstated my observation of the Current/S-Meter. The meter deflects all the way to the right indicating a current draw of over 20 amps. I will look at the band bass filter again to see is there any components in common with those two bands but excluding the other ones.

This Radio came to me in pitifully condition. No Receive, no transmit, no sound at all coming out of the speaker, and the S-meter pegged to the right. I stopped counting after the bench time exceeded 40 hours. o_O

Ripley

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That website makes your browser download a 150 meg avi advertisement in the background. :eek:

Why would you post it here ?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  5. KD8UYQ

KD8UYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Greg,

I watched the video on filter design. Very reformative. Thank you sir.

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not on my browser .... You can contact Earl, VE3AB about the issue.
    He is re-working / revising his web site

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK.

Can you look on your machine for 009.AVI . That is the default file name.

I am sure Earl is aware of what he is doing. He should compress his videos, At the least.

Have Fun. Java on. :)