FT-2900R vs. FT-2800M

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KI6A, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI6A

KI6A Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been having this same debate with myself for a little while now. I own an FT-60R dual-bander and have been scanning a bit on the 440. There is some activity, but a lot of it is restricted due to the military's Pave Paws missile defense system. Most of the hams in the area that I've met so far, don't do much in the UHF bands... but the idea of something like the FT-8800 and cross band repeat still seam somewhat appealing.

Anyway, for now I think I'm going to stick with the basics on 2m.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this. It seems that the 2800 is a darn good rig that will serve me well. And so far, I can't seem to find a reason for the extra 10w in the 2900... can that extra 10w really make any difference besides just bleeding my TX over into nearby frequencies?

2. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

It shouldn't bleed over and if it were too then something is wrong with the radio....10 watts will make very little difference. Barely noticeable. My buddy has one of those 75 watt rigs. WHen he gets noisy at 50 watts he kicks it up to 75W and we can hear him again....for about 2 more miles.

3. KD8HYU

KD8HYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone with a 2900r been having any interference problems with their HF rigs like I have with the 2800m??

I just upgraded here in June and have had the 2800m in the shack since the first part of 2008 with out a problem. Finally got a Icom 718 from a local buddy for my first HF rig and noticed that when I was keyed down on the 718 or the LDG Z-100plus was tuning up the 2800 would go a little nuts. Numbers randomly coming up on the screen, getting into menus and / buzzing.

Just curious since my bday is coming up and the wife wants to know what I want so I thought about getting a new one.

4. KJ4OAZ

KJ4OAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

i just purchased the yaesu ft 2900 i got it earlier yesterday so i havent used it much but from wat i have used it its a good radio i just need a better antenna for it im using a tram 5/8 mag mount antenna be4 i got it i was using a radioshack one it seemed to have wrked better tho..... im just now gettin into ham so i dont know much bout the activity i think i had my license bout 2 months now so i need some help on the activity....

73s
    issac
    kj4oaz

5. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at your side by side, the 2800 also has the WX channels, including weather alert. Switch to the WX by pressing P4 button on the mic.

Essentially all you get is 10 w more on the High power setting. They switched the positions of the power and nuclear option buttons.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  6. VA7DBC

VA7DBC Ham Member QRZ Page

This is out of the Ft-2900 manual:

MEMORY-ONLY MODE
    Once memory channel programming has been completed, you may place the radio in a “Memory Only” mode, whereby VFO and Home Channel operation are impossible. This may be particularly useful during public-service events where a number of operators may be using the radio for first time, and ultimate simplicity of channel selection is desired.
    To place the radio into the Memory Only mode, turn it off. Now press and hold in the [D/MR(MW)] key while turning the radio on. The VFO and Home Channel will now be disabled.
    To return to normal operation, repeat the above power-on procedure.
    The FT-2900R’s scanning capability provides the operator with many convenient methods of rapid frequency navigation.

This is out of the Ft-2800 manual
    MEMORY-ONLY MODE
    Once memory channel programming has been completed, you may place the radio in a “Memory Only” mode, whereby VFO and Home Channel operation are impossible. This may be particularly useful during public-service events where a number of operators may be using the radio for first time, and ultimate simplicity of channel selection is desired.
    To place the radio into the Memory Only mode, turn it off. Now press and hold in the [MHz(SET)] and [D/MR(MW)] keys while turning the radio on. The VFO and Home Channel will now be disabled.
    To return to normal operation, repeat the above power-on procedure.

So not much difference, continue not to understand the "Additional" feature.

Please note I did try a Ft-2900 and the only flaw I found was that the volume does not turn completely off on a counter rotation of the volume control. For some that may be alright, but used in a shack setting, personally it would drive me insane as I can not multitask well. I can only deal with one set of audio at a time...Probably just me.

Cheers and 73s

VA7DBC

7. N9TYK

N9TYK Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that it is just a problem with excess RF, not the radio in particular.

8. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have almost the same setup... Icom 718 with the newer LDG IT-100 tuner, and FT-2800M. Not having this problem.

I do have a choke balun ("ugly balun") up at the feedpoint of the HF antenna, but nothing on the separate J-pole hooked up to the 2800.

Paul
    AE5JU

Edited to add: Now this is a helpful hint... when you are trying to check in on both an HF net and a 2-meter net on the same evening, make sure you use the correct microphone for the particular net you are trying to check in. Just a suggestion.

9. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the reference given for the two models, the two things that stand out is the reciever sensitivity and the IF filter attenuation.
    I would take the 2800 over the 2900.
    One reason is a friend has a funny action with his 2900 near a repeater that has 6 and 2m linked, such that his radio shuts off recieve audio for some reason when both repeaters are on the air. When he gets away lowereing the signal level he has no problem.
    I think it is some form of IMD causing it in his model where my 2800 does not experience this right under the repeater transmitting antennas.
    Don't know if this is an unknown find in design but not many will be in this type of position in overall use.
    Another consideration is using the radio mobile at long distances.
    The better reciever sensitivity would be better as well as using a 5/8 wave antenna.
    I am currently experimenting with a loading hat in the middle of my 5/8 wave and find it tends to improve the ability to hear at longer distances from the repeaters but not enough yet to make a 'great' difference.

10. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted on the wrong thread.

Never mind. :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.