ad: elecraft

FT 107M Carrier balance issue

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N4DXX, May 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N4DXX

N4DXX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a weird issue..I have 107m when i set the carrier balance..all is fine ..well a day or so later it's off again and i have to re-align ..will not stay put..any ideas?

2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Dirty null trimmer pot or capacitor. The intermittent(s) lead to value changes, which in turn lead to the balance point being upset.

3. N4DXX

Replaced both ceramic and variable resistor will now see if it stay's put..will report back

4. N4DXX

Not the issue..still doing it and seems it's doing it worse on 40m..I can set the balance there and it's fine for a hour or so and bam i key the mic and see anywhere from 3 to 10 watts..Weird i have never seen anything like this before

5. N4DXX

Found the problem..It was actually on the RF unit ..The trap adjustment was out of whack..Cleaned and set..all is well now..Thanks

6. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC, that module is similar to the one used in the FT-90x and FT-101Z series. I may have a look at the schematics and see what the outcome of a bad adjustment could be. Good catch!

7. N4DXX

Well i do know for a fact it will cause your carrier balance to act crazy..Been over a day now and all is just fine again!!

8. N4DXX

The service manual released by yaesu on this rig is for the most part mia..Not very much detail