ad: vanity

FT-101EE Transceiver

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8ARR, Jan 16, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W8ARR

W8ARR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a FT-101EE and I love it!! The receiver is better than my FT-897 (on 80 meters at least) I am going to re-tube it this summer and I had a local ham go thru it and all the caps & 1 FET in the receiver replaced It was Never hacked by a CB'er . I am one lucky ham to have such a fine radio.
    Any other FT-101 series owners have any stories about this oldie but goodie radio? DE W8ARR

N4FZ likes this.
  2. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a FT101EE and yes it was a good radio. Someone had replaced the 2 fets in the front end and it had hot receive from top to bottom. My only advice is keep the bias set rite and don't run the finals hard, and keep a couple 12by7s on hand for spares.

N4FZ likes this.
  3. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

They are great die hard radios. Very fun to operate and to work on. I have 5 of these that were in various state of neglect. I bought for 10 bucks to use for parts. Was going to strip the card connectors out to make a set of extended cards. End up repairing the radio..... Been doing a repair series on YouTube.

N4FZ likes this.
  4. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They're very fun radios to use. I enjoy mine.

[​IMG]

KC8YLT, K4PIH, K4YND and 4 others like this.
  5. WW0W

WW0W Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  6. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep! I use mine every time I get on the air (that and my Swans). I'd rather use them than the FLEX I have.

FLEX has no soul!

NL7W and KI5WW like this.
  7. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like my mint FT-101ZD Mk III and matching VFO. I would like to find a matching speaker. :)

Someday...

8. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I always wondered: was the clear plastic sheet on the front panel of the old Yaesu rigs meant to be removed before using the radio? I know that many (most?) hams left it on. As I recall, the Henry Radio Tempo One transceiver also had a plastic sheet (I think that radio was produced by Yaesu as well).

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Henry "Tempo One" was actually the Yaesu FT-200 with most of the Yaesu markings changed. (If you look at the crystal filter, and the S-meter, you can still see the Yaesu logos).

For European sale, the Yaesu FT-200 became the Sommerkamp FT-250.

There was also a low-power version, sold only in Japan, known as the FT-200S.

The design is actually older than the FT-101 family, and was produced in several versions. The most obvious change was that the early units had silver front panels while later had black, but there were others, such as the change from the 7360 balanced modulator to a solid-state version, power supply simplification, and some others.

The FT-200 design is a real mixed bag - mostly tubes, but with transistor oscillators for the VFO, heterodyne/premix oscillator and audio tone generator. Part of the circuitry is on circuit boards, part point-to-point wiring. Some things are very high quality (VFO), some are pretty chintzy (some relays are in sockets, one is soldered in). It does AM, in a way, and has RIT - but there's no provision for a CW filter.

For some reason the Tempo One was popular with "freebanders" and such, probably because of the four 10 meter positions that could be changed to other 500 kHz segments by changing crystals.

10. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Still have the clear plastic on mine.