FT 101EE that's deaf

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by G0MIH, Oct 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G0MIH

G0MIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys I have a 101EE that's deaf. I can just hear the internal calibrator signal but hers is the strange thing, When I put a scope probe at the antenna input I get a 20Mhz +/- a bit signal going out. Now where is that coming from???
    I've not had this radio long and I have no experience on working on one so its a new project for me.
    I have worked on many other radios like the kenwood TS830S and got that working so I'm not unexperienced in electronics.
    Just not worked on one of these before.
    Has anyone come across this before?
    The radio like I said is very deaf, it will pick up signals as you can here them also no "S" meter reading ether.

BR.

Paul.

W0RZN likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does the 101EE have a fuse lamp at the antenna input?

3. G0MIH

G0MIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it has a lamp fuse but that's OK.

4. W7WRX

W7WRX Ham Member QRZ Page

First remove all cards, clean connectors and install again.
    Next operate all controls and switches 20 times.
    Make sure the VFO switch is properly selected and not on external The VFO light should be on.
    Its possible your calibrator has a problem.
    Try all bands and make sure to peak preselect.
    If all bands are weak, suspect the N Channel FET. There are a few in the rig but the main one is on the small card at front. Its a plug in. The original device was not diode protected and failed easily. There are replacements that will work such as NTE222 and others.

KB7LOQ and N3RYB like this.
  5. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

How strong is the calibrator signal on different bands? (it's a very useful indicator)

Roger G3YRO