FT-101E Intermittent Audio level/S-Meter level

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KB3GWQ, Jun 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB3GWQ

KB3GWQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Roger, that's what I thought but was unsure. I did test it out earlier and verified that I was pretty much about where I needed to be on the pot.

Regarding the two resistors. I'm not sure yet, waiting on replacement resistors to show up tomorrow. I no longer have a cache of misc electronics parts to swap and sub. Though poking them around seemed to cure it for the most part and considering they need replaced anyways I will do it.

On the link from N8YX, they have interesting information here about upgrading the socketed transistor - http://foxtango.org/ft101/n-channel mosfet.htm. I went ahead and ordered it for kicks and see if it makes any real difference.

I didn't clean the card edge connector itself but when this whole thing started I was pushing every module back and forth with a pair of chopsticks to see if anything changed and it didn't. I didn't look TOO hard at the card edge connector but it didn't look awful. When I replace the resistors I'll properly clean the card edge connector too while I'm at it for good measure. Will keep you guys posted if it works.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should clean the connectors with alcohol.

And stop using China made chopsticks on a radio that was made in Japan. :rolleyes:

3. KB3GWQ

Chopsticks, a pencil, whatever. Hi hi. Just need something that's not conductive to poke around. But yes, I was planning on taking something like an old white shirt and wrapping it around a bond spreader and putting some alcohol in it and reinserting it until it comes up clean then use some deoxit cleaner and finally the deoxit gold. That method seems to work OK for me.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What is a "bond spreader" ?

You do not want to stress the contacts out.

Alcohol and a acid brush should work. Many techs use a pencil eraser for the board edge connectors.

Good Luck.

5. KB3GWQ

Probably a typo but a bondo spreader. Just a piece of plastic. Same thing as a spreader for cakes basically. As long as it's not a super thick one should be OK. I don't have any sturdy index cards, but I've used them before as well.

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

You shouldn't need to clean the PCB Socket, so I wouldn't touch it - the contacts are gold plated, and I've NEVER known any of them to play up. Any very slight cleaning required would be done by pushing the board in and out.

But DO wipe the edge connections on the board itself, with Switch Cleaner/Lubricant.

I very much doubt that your Resistors have failed - it's probably just that you were applying pressure to the board, so the above cleaning should sort it out.

To be honest, the front-end overload performance of the FT101 is very good, so I have never found any improvement with other FETs. (it's also actually one of the most sensitive yet quietest receivers ever made)

Roger G3YRO

KG7HVR likes this.
  7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

2x FR-101 in use here at the moment and I tend to agree, though the IF strip itself is a bit noisy at full gain.

The only thing that rig really lacks (IMHO) is an IF Notch/Rejection Tuning control and more filter options. Maybe an all-mode squelch. I have a spare IF Board in the Junque Box, along with a bunch of extra filters and some other goodies. Methinks I'll roll my own and add said features.

KB3GWQ likes this.
  8. KB3GWQ

Well I replaced the two questionable resistors and let the heaters on for 30 minutes then tuned up various places and called out CQ full power on a few bands on CW and so far seems OK. The resistors are testing OK on the bench, so not sure if they go bad when there's a decent amount of voltage applied across them (I've actually seen this before on some arcade PCBs I've fixed in the past) or if it was just a questionable joint.

Roger, maybe you know? One thing that annoys me with this rig is the 825hz CW sidetone. How can I get it closer to 600hz?

9. KB3GWQ

Yes, I wish there was some more filtering on it. For CW work with the 600hz filter if the bands are crowded you're in trouble. I was wondering how hard it would be to make a breakout pcb that has the 600hz and a 250hz filter installed and you could select them with a switch and if this idea would even work or would it require extra things? My IC-746PRO has manual NR adjustments which I like to set just enough before it gets watery and works very well for CW. I kind of miss that on this rig too, but not a deal breaker.

10. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always had a 250Hz CW Filter in my FT101E . . . and just used that

If you really wanted TWO different CW filters, I guess it wouldn't be too hard too hard to piggy back it, and add extra diode switching.

Regarding the CW Sidetone, I've always found it good (a lot of rig use 1kHz !)

But it would be quite easy to change the resistors in the Sidetone Osc to get a lower frequency. Then you'd need to adjust the CW crystal to be the same offset (ie 600Hz)

Roger G3YRO