FT-1000 loud buzzing noise

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N6XB, Sep 18, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N6XB

N6XB Ham Member QRZ Page

Turn on my FT-1000 the other day and heard this loud buzz or motor boating type sound or oscillation. I don't think it is 60hz, but I haven't measured it yet. It is independent of the volume control. So the problem must be downstream somewhere. If I turn the volume way up, I can hear the receiver working and receiving signals. Perhaps a power supply cap has a problem somewhere after the volume control?

2. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

You are thinking right.... look for leaking or bulging electrolytics, the buzzing could be the clocking pulses getting to where they shouldn't, I'm thinking of the digital compartment here, not overlooking the digital display board.

First of all I would try a full reset just in case it's a data glitch, then checking all grounding screws on the circuit boards, keeping eye's open for leaking electrolytic capacitors.... smd types you may have to look closely as they may not be easily to spot. No harm in checking all voltages, a service manual would help here, plenty are available to download on the internet.

Dave